Thread: ROA conversion

ROA conversion

I have a short barreled ROA and have now got a std barreled one with target sites. Both in stainless. I know that these can be shot with a nitro conversion and wondered if anyone knows anything about them. Is it just a new cylinder and you can still use your b/p one or is it a one way trip? Is it worth it? Do you still use round ball/conical bullets? How much? Licence requirements? Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    I have a short barreled ROA and have now got a std barreled one with target sites. Both in stainless. I know that these can be shot with a nitro conversion and wondered if anyone knows anything about them. Is it just a new cylinder and you can still use your b/p one or is it a one way trip? Is it worth it? Do you still use round ball/conical bullets? How much? Licence requirements? Tim
    I love mine

I have 2 x cylinders - kept the BP one too = you need a Variation on your FAC that simply says 'Spare Cylinder' ' Cal .45' ' NVN'

I use conicals in it & tinker with a variety of powders in it - uses shotgun primers

Alan Westlake will probably charge you in the region of £350 & I don't know how long you will wait

The new cylinder looks like the one in the second pic down here ..http://westlakeengineering.com/4640/4694.html

Probably get some pics up if I put my mond to it - but have a look on Alans website

Cheers

Roy
    Last edited by harricook; 09-05-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Forgot to say - I load my ROA cylinder off the gun (both with BP & nitro)

Cheers

Roy

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Some US ROA owners have acquired a cylinder that allows shooting .45 Colt cartridges, and they can still use the cylinder for loose black powder: so I don't think that a conversion that allowed for the use of loose smokeless powder would interfere with being able to use loose black in another cylinder.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Some US ROA owners have acquired a cylinder that allows shooting .45 Colt cartridges, and they can still use the cylinder for loose black powder: so I don't think that a conversion that allowed for the use of loose smokeless powder would interfere with being able to use loose black in another cylinder.

Jim
    Hey Jim

I've seen the drop-in cartridge cylinders & coveted one too !!!!

I'll be in Cinncinatti soon - so I'll get to 'top-up' on pistol shooting while I'm ther !!!

Cheers

Roy

Unfortunately the possession of a 45 colt cylinder with a ROA over here in England could result in a 5 year's state financed holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    I love mine

I have 2 x cylinders - kept the BP one too = you need a Variation on your FAC that simply says 'Spare Cylinder' ' Cal .45' ' NVN'

I use conicals in it & tinker with a variety of powders in it - uses shotgun primers

Alan Westlake will probably charge you in the region of £350 & I don't know how long you will wait

The new cylinder looks like the one in the second pic down here ..http://westlakeengineering.com/4640/4694.html

Probably get some pics up if I put my mond to it - but have a look on Alans website

Cheers

Roy
    Alan Does some beautiful work, doesn't he?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Hey Jim

I've seen the drop-in cartridge cylinders & coveted one too !!!!

I'll be in Cinncinatti soon - so I'll get to 'top-up' on pistol shooting while I'm ther !!!

Cheers

Roy

Have fun, there, Roy! I hope you get to shoot a Taurus Judge during your visit.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by acmsarh View Post
    Unfortunately the possession of a 45 colt cylinder with a ROA over here in England could result in a 5 year's state financed holiday.
    Yeah. . . . . . but I was just trying to point out that an extra cartridge cylinder shouldn't prevent continued use of the black powder cylinder, so probably a loose smokeless cylinder wouldn't.

Having seen the Westlake Engineering photos, though, I'm not so surem now: it looks more like they do really convert the whole revolver, not just provide an auxiliary cylinder.

Jim

Thanks for the imfo folks.
    Roy, i have a Lyman peep hole site on my .44 1894 which screws into the holes already there on top of the reciever. Got it from Roger at South Yorkshire Shooting. Nicely made and adjustable for elevation and windage, cost about £35. His web site is www.rimfiremagic .co.uk if memory serves me correct. Getting back to the Ruger i see the one on Westlake web site is shown as .38 nitro so am assuming yours retained the std barrel and it was just a case of him making the new cylinder? Tim

Additional. Just looked again at the Westlake site and it does indeed say the new cylinder is made to your existing barrel.
    Last edited by tim56; 10-05-2011 at 06:14 AM. Reason: additional

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Thanks for the imfo folks.
    Roy, i have a Lyman peep hole site on my .44 1894 which screws into the holes already there on top of the reciever. Got it from Roger at South Yorkshire Shooting. Nicely made and adjustable for elevation and windage, cost about £35. His web site is www.rimfiremagic .co.uk if memory serves me correct. Getting back to the Ruger i see the one on Westlake web site is shown as .38 nitro so am assuming yours retained the std barrel and it was just a case of him making the new cylinder? Tim

Additional. Just looked again at the Westlake site and it does indeed say the new cylinder is made to your existing barrel.
    Hi All

Yes - I complicated things by referring to that photo - apologies

My nitro cylinder looks just like the two part cylinder in the second pic - it is a beautifully made thing !!

The rest of the gun is untouched/unchanged (original barrel etc) aside of when you pull the loading lever down - all the nitro proof details are revealed

Mmmm just like looking in a sweet shop window - now I have got the ROA to look at - I want to go shoot it !!

Roy
    Last edited by harricook; 12-05-2011 at 10:34 PM.