Thread: Receive Text alerts of forthcoming UBC comps on your mobile

Cool Receive Text alerts of forthcoming UBC comps on your mobile

We all lead busy lives and with so many UBC competitions taking place each month, it’s easy to lose track. That’s why the UBC is as pleased as punch to announce that you can now sign up to receive text messages and / or email notifications of forthcoming competitions direct to your mobile. How cool is that?

If you’d rather just have email alerts sent to your nominated email account, then simply disregard the Mobile setup and registration details below. If you have a smartphone with email enabled, you may wish to consider entering your mobile email details depending on how frequently and reliably emails are delivered to your device.

Disclaimer: Text alerts are free to receive on Vodafone, but please check with your network operator if in doubt. The initial setup text you’ll have to send for validation purposes should be charged at the standard message rate of 12p or come out of any inclusive texts on your price plan. After that, all notifications you receive should be free of charge, but as above please check first if you’re not on Vodafone. There is no need to reply to text notifications, but if you feel the need to reply you’d be better doing it by email to save that 12p charge for sending a text.

Okay, so how do you sign up?

Firstly, you'll need a Twitter account. You only need to enter a username, email address and password to register. Once registered, go to the settings dropdown, top right under your username, and click the Mobile tab. From there, choose your country, enter your mobile number, and choose which carrier (network) you’re with.

When prompted, send a text message (charged at standard rate 12p) with the word GO to 86444. You’ll shortly get a text back informing you that your mobile number has been verified. If you don’t intend to tweet yourself and have privacy concerns, uncheck “Let others find me by my phone number”. You can do the same with the email address you signed up with by going to the Account tab for even greater anonymity. Uncheck everything except “Tweets from people you’ve enabled for mobile notifications” to prevent unwanted messages coming through. You may also want to turn off notifications between certain hours – for instance when you’re asleep – but UBC messages should always be sent during the daytime on the Friday – the day before the current comp starts. Then, click “Save” and you’re done.

Click on the “Home” button top left, and type into the search box Umarex Boys Club. Click our logo and then click “Follow”. Lastly, click the small round grey button to the right of the big “Follow” button so it turns green, and that’s it – you’ve enabled mobile notifications.

If you’re already on twitter, just add us @UmarexBoysClub

You’ll get a text alert when every competition is due to start regardless of whether you take part in that competition or not. The reason for that is that a) we’d need four or five different Twitter accounts - and four or five people to administer them – to cater for all the current comps and b) you never know, you might be at a loose end one day, kicking around for something to do when PING you get a text from the UBC and decide to take part in one of the comps you don’t normally shoot. Clever, eh?

I hope that you find this new service useful and that the instructions I’ve given for sign-up are easy enough to follow, but if you have any questions then either post them on this thread or send me an email.

Fellow Competition Managers – please let me know of any changes to the calendar or any ad-hoc competitions you would like circulating.

Regards and happy shooting,

Mike.

PS - I've been following a group on Twitter for some weeks now with mobile alerts enabled, and so far not a single spam text or email.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Hey: is the UBC on Facebook yet?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Hey: is the UBC on Facebook yet?

Jim
    There was some talk of it in the early days Jim I seem to remember, but I don't know if anything came of it.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Facebook's become a big thing with a lot of people. But i find myself spending very little time on it: less and less, as time goes by.

Somehow, I can't deal with a steady diet of "UGGGHHHH, I HATE my job!" and "OOOHHHH, I just made brownies and my kitchen smells SOOO good!"

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

BigEars Guest
    There's a Scottish version called AffYerHeidBook. Suits me much better.