Thread: Advice on loading my ROA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Grease is safer as well in case of chain fire, always used it over 30yrs

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Hiya

I have finally managed to get this new fangled search facility working !!

Heres links to a couple of threads on wads

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ighlight=ruger

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ighlight=ruger

Regarding ball - cast are cheaper than swaged - but I can't bring myself to pay shop prices even then - think Andy charges £7 or £7.50/100 for his cast ball & the last Hornady swaged I saw were about £11 Edit: - just seen the Hornady ball on MidwayUK .....£14.47/100 [ eeeeeeeeeeek !]

I am casting my own soft lead ball in .457 & also making my own wads - my Dad is using filler - it's all down to preference

I use wads to bring the ball flush & put a tiny squirt of grease on two cylinders to keep any fouling soft when I am shooting BP
    With Nitro - I Alox the ball/bullet whatever I am playing with & shoot on

Roy
    Use plenty of grease over the balls it does no really matter what type as long as thick enugh to not spray all over the place (to much) a chain fire is not good only seen one and that was one to many, very noisy and very messy for those concerned !! I have even used LHM at a pinch

Quote Originally Posted by Adept View Post
    Use plenty of grease over the balls it does no really matter what type as long as thick enugh to not spray all over the place (to much) a chain fire is not good only seen one and that was one to many, very noisy and very messy for those concerned !! I have even used LHM at a pinch
    Grease is not for chain fires ...... it's to keep the BP fouling soft

Get your balls the right size & you will not have a chainfire.

I HAVE had a chainfire ( 3 cylinders !!) on a Colt revolver many years ago & this was due to being sold undersized balls in too hard a lead (by a reputable dealer at one of the Bisley shows)

I fired that Colt many times after getting the correct balls in soft lead & had no problems

Roy