Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice on loading my ROA

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Never seem to get any cap or debris jams with the ROA as I always did with the Rem NMA
    I used to use CCI on my Rem NMA & had the same problem, I now use Dynamit Nobel 1075 & they work much better, no jams yet.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

I had trouble with the 1075 caps (RWS i think they were) falling in the mechanism with my previous ROA but my Rogers and Spencer was fine with them. I switched to Remington no11 ones and they work fine in both my ROA,s and the Rogers so will stick with them. Tim

One more question guys, do you use a powder flask to charge your pistol or those plastic phials with the correct amount of powder measured out. Also I'm still not sure which caps I should use so any more advice on that would be great.

Phials with 22 gr powder with 6mm homemade lubed wad and RWS caps no greasy snot being flung everywhere.

Load from little phials every time. Dont like the idea of flasks myself. To much powder in one place on the shooting bench for my liking. Admitedly never had a problem when pouring powder into the barrel/chamber but one tiny ember left in there and youve got a bomb in your hand. Got my phials from one of the dealers for about £14 a hundred then shortened them by about 5mm so they go nicely into a 44 mag bullet box. For the 577 muzzle loader i use old camera film pots. Can easily be squeezed to form a spout for pouring and are just the right price, ie, free.

Thanks for the replies guys, anyone use Triple 7 and how much do you use, should be measured by volume rather than weight apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by lasbrisas View Post
    One more question guys, do you use a powder flask to charge your pistol or those plastic phials with the correct amount of powder measured out. Also I'm still not sure which caps I should use so any more advice on that would be great.
    Hi Lasbrisias

PM sent regarding vials I can get

Cheers

Roy

PM sent
    It's not my faulty, I was just.....

Grease is safer as well in case of chain fire, always used it over 30yrs

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Hiya

I have finally managed to get this new fangled search facility working !!

Heres links to a couple of threads on wads

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ighlight=ruger

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ighlight=ruger

Regarding ball - cast are cheaper than swaged - but I can't bring myself to pay shop prices even then - think Andy charges £7 or £7.50/100 for his cast ball & the last Hornady swaged I saw were about £11 Edit: - just seen the Hornady ball on MidwayUK .....£14.47/100 [ eeeeeeeeeeek !]

I am casting my own soft lead ball in .457 & also making my own wads - my Dad is using filler - it's all down to preference

I use wads to bring the ball flush & put a tiny squirt of grease on two cylinders to keep any fouling soft when I am shooting BP
    With Nitro - I Alox the ball/bullet whatever I am playing with & shoot on

Roy
    Use plenty of grease over the balls it does no really matter what type as long as thick enugh to not spray all over the place (to much) a chain fire is not good only seen one and that was one to many, very noisy and very messy for those concerned !! I have even used LHM at a pinch

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    PM sent
    Hi mate, I replied to your pm but have had a lot of problems and don't think I can send for some reason, could you pm me your email addy if you don't mind.

Hi, PM sent with email address

Rick
    It's not my faulty, I was just.....

Quote Originally Posted by Adept View Post
    Use plenty of grease over the balls it does no really matter what type as long as thick enugh to not spray all over the place (to much) a chain fire is not good only seen one and that was one to many, very noisy and very messy for those concerned !! I have even used LHM at a pinch
    Grease is not for chain fires ...... it's to keep the BP fouling soft

Get your balls the right size & you will not have a chainfire.

I HAVE had a chainfire ( 3 cylinders !!) on a Colt revolver many years ago & this was due to being sold undersized balls in too hard a lead (by a reputable dealer at one of the Bisley shows)

I fired that Colt many times after getting the correct balls in soft lead & had no problems

Roy

Hi, I was just reading this thread and I am still wondering about the part of the original question, that mentions that one of the guys at his work loads a wad between the powder and ball and the other places the wad over the top. Which method is correct? Does it matter? Or are these two variations for different reasons? Thanks, G.

The wad goes between powder and ball.

Wads or filler dont really matter, in the days these were used in anger they didnt use anything just powder and ball, with grease over the ball to make it a bit more waterproof bearing in mind it could stay holstered for ages. Never use a flask, most clubs ban their use for good reason. My personal choice is cous-cous filler because it has more "give" than finer alternatves.

With regard to balls I cast my own but have now taken to weighing every one to be sure of a matching set, its surprising the variation in weight.

Powder is measured volumetricaly but I then weigh my phials to select matching weights. Had 3 bulls in a 1" group at 25m and the other 3 within a 3" group last week so for me its paying off.

As for putting caps on I dont use much pressure, mostly they dont go off on first strike but the hammer seats them ready for next hit. I prefer it this way, its safer for them to be pushed on with some force by the hammer whilst the gun is in the aimed position than risk using too much force while on the bench. Not good in competition but I dont enter any so ok for me.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Thankyou very much for that. I will take my recently aquired ROA out to the range next time. I am looking forward to it. Just got to get the oxyoke wonder wads & a powder measure first for loading the cylinder. Will the Hornaday .457 balls be a tight fit and stay in the chamber on their own? They don't sometimes roll out do they whilst the pistol is inverted? Thankyou for the advice. G.