Thread: What's the point?!

What's the point?!

I was at the club tonight shooting 20m LSR, when a new member turned up, had a bit of a chat, went outside to shoot 50m prone then came in to ask what LSR was all about. I was happy to fill him in, being keen to "sell" the discipline that I enjoy so much, I was a bit taken aback when he said "What's the point in it? Shooting 20m with a scope?!" The obvious implication that it was a piece of cake.

I know a number of other long term members of the club hold similar views and it just got me to thinking, is this a common perception amongst the majority of prone shooters? How many people shoot prone and LSR?

Cheers,

Mark.

what's LSR ??????
    Cheers Lloyd

lightweight sporting rifle

Can be 22 lr, 22 air or 177 air

Adrian

(Can also be a pain in the rump......
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    Mark

We get this all the time when people see pistol shooters up the club - 'that's easy that is, I can hit someone from across the map on Call of Duty I can' ....erm, okay then, have a try ....

Most have a dozen shots, don't get anywhere on the target, then blame the gun 'cuz it ain't powerful like' or because they can hold it 'gangsta style' at 90 degrees.

You have to laugh when they moan about the gun, then someone picks it up, takes a shot and scores a 10 - but then I only do that to show off now and again :-)

Lee
    Last edited by The Doctor; 11-05-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Wrong name at the top of the post !
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Adrian

We get this all the time when people see pistol shooters up the club - 'that's easy that is, I can hit someone from across the map on Call of Duty I can' ....erm, okay then, have a try ....

Most have a dozen shots, don't get anywhere on the target, then blame the gun 'cuz it ain't powerful like' or because they can hold it 'gangsta style' at 90 degrees.

You have to laugh when they moan about the gun, then someone picks it up, takes a shot and scores a 10 - but then I only do that to show off now and again :-)

Lee
    Yes, there's no understanding some folks thought processes.
    Recently one of our new members was shooting chalk targets at 25m with his sooper-dooper air rifle with 25,000,000 power scope and he couldn't believe that I was doing as good as if not better than him, standing unsupported and using the 1950's BSA .22lr with diopter sights.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

I shoot at a club but reguarly shoot 20mts or less with scoped rifles Air and cartridge , If you have a rifle/scope setup you take it off in the field , do you ?
    Also most of my Air rifle scope combos are set up at 15mts range in the garden before I use on the farm at longer range , so I assume most of us useing a rifle scope como
    shoot at shorter range at some time or another .
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Quote Originally Posted by mjoseph View Post
    I was at the club tonight shooting 20m LSR, when a new member turned up, had a bit of a chat, went outside to shoot 50m prone then came in to ask what LSR was all about. I was happy to fill him in, being keen to "sell" the discipline that I enjoy so much, I was a bit taken aback when he said "What's the point in it? Shooting 20m with a scope?!" The obvious implication that it was a piece of cake.

I know a number of other long term members of the club hold similar views and it just got me to thinking, is this a common perception amongst the majority of prone shooters? How many people shoot prone and LSR?
    Cheers,
    Mark.
    The point is you enjoy it so enjoy, if the person could not see the point of it then its their loss. What some people forget is if you join the army they teach you to shoot and expect you to hit another person but only a few are allowed to train as marksmen. Trying to get a shot in the target at the same point every time is hard work and not everyone can do it. I have shot mostly riffles for over 50years just plinking and later hunting and over the last few weeks i have changed over to pistol target. Easy i could throw the gun and hit the target err no its bloody hard yes if i put a drinks can in place of the target i would hit it but the holes would look crap on the target. The person you talked to forget it Mark one day they will realise its a discipline and may change their mind one day if not its their loss.
    When hunting i mostly put my bag down set the riffle up and shot prone i preferred that position i have shot standing but preferred to lay. Mind you the day came when because my knee is bad i could not get up again. We all shot different disciplines and hopefully we all respect others choices but mostly we do what we do because we like it - so enjoy.

It was actually quite funny, after telling me he'd been shooting for 30 years and that he was shooting at 300 yards, unsupported with open sights when he was in the army, he didn't do too well when he borrowed my rifle. In fact, even though I hadn't noticed, my scope needed zeroing, which he then proceeded to do!

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    I shoot at a club but reguarly shoot 20mts or less with scoped rifles Air and cartridge , If you have a rifle/scope setup you take it off in the field , do you ?
    Also most of my Air rifle scope combos are set up at 15mts range in the garden before I use on the farm at longer range , so I assume most of us useing a rifle scope como
    shoot at shorter range at some time or another .
    I think the comment was probably from the point of view that if you can shoot at 25yds with diopter sights, why do you need a scope at 20yds?
    Just because LSR uses lighter hunting style .22 rifles does not mean LSR shooters are usually hunters. Quite the opposite in fact. This isn't a matter or retaining a single configuration across different types of shooting.

Whether it was discipline snobbery, or if he was just missing the point of the different discipline is hard to say.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Quote Originally Posted by mjoseph View Post
    It was actually quite funny, after telling me he'd been shooting for 30 years and that he was shooting at 300 yards, unsupported with open sights when he was in the army, he didn't do too well when he borrowed my rifle. In fact, even though I hadn't noticed, my scope needed zeroing, which he then proceeded to do!
    Well i have shot for over 50 years but never target and standing with a pistol one handed trying (and i mean trying) to hit a 10 is a whole new ball game. Met those people who have borrowed my riffle and then after missing a bloody big rabbit looking straight at them and saying oh the sights are set up for you thats whats wrong.
    we do what we do because we like it

Quote Originally Posted by pr1uk View Post
    Well i have shot for over 50 years but never target and standing with a pistol one handed trying (and i mean trying) to hit a 10 is a whole new ball game. Met those people who have borrowed my riffle and then after missing a bloody big rabbit looking straight at them and saying oh the sights are set up for you thats whats wrong.
    What pisses me off are the guys that borrow my rifle or pistol and procede to win the competition!:
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

What's the point of doing anything we enjoy? Answer's in the question.

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    What pisses me off are the guys that borrow my rifle or pistol and procede to win the competition!:
    Or the people that take 2-year haitus from shooting, and then come back and win everything at their first competition, meanwhile the rest of us have slipped
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation