Thread: Looking to join a club.

Looking to join a club.

Hi all,
    I bought an air gun and some targets so I could enjoy some shooting in the back garden, only problem is whenever I go out my neighbour decides he wants to come out and do some gardening. It does my head in but if the truth be known i'm most likely in the wrong so I put my gun away in the loft. Anyway, that was a few months ago. Now I fancy starting to shoot again but wont go out in the back garden I think I will join a club. I'm from Bilston, Wolverhampton, and was wandering if there are any decent clubs locally.
    Thanks.

The Greyhound at Coventry open 7 days a week from 9am 40mins away
    A few air rifles and pistols Daystate Owners Club

Try the NSRA club finder. Most smallbore clubs have an air rifle section. Or need one

I refer the honourable gentleman to this thread.

As bullbarrel says, NSRA is probably the best bet for you.

Why would you be in the wrong for shooting in your back garden?
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Nick, I mean borrow, a telephone directory or some old carpet etc and make a small neat backstop. Knock your neighbours door for friendly chat and tell them what your up to, your well within the law as long as none of the pellets leave your property... They may even want to have a go !
    Making waves since 1971.

Thanks for the replies.
    I guess i'm in the wrong as I have other peoples gardens around me that are only fenced off. When I did shoot I was using metal target stand things.

EDIT
    Just read your reply airsniper, I might just go and have half hour in the back garden. I did try to have a chat with him before I first started, didn't want to scare him by walking outside with an air gun in my hands. He ended up being a moaning trooper saying it was against the law and it could hurt somebody. I always shot towards my house, to reduce the risk of any richochet and hitting anybody.
    Last edited by ckp82; 12-05-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ckp82 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    I guess i'm in the wrong as I have other peoples gardens around me that are only fenced off. When I did shoot I was using metal target stand things.

EDIT
    Just read your reply airsniper, I might just go and have half hour in the back garden. I did try to have a chat with him before I first started, didn't want to scare him by walking outside with an air gun in my hands. He ended up being a moaning trooper saying it was against the law and it could hurt somebody. I always shot towards my house, to reduce the risk of any richochet and hitting anybody.
    Try to shoot away from any buildings unless its your old wooden shed. Use the carpet etc behind as a trap and keep the noise down... Like I said , your not breaking any laws shooting in your garden.. Just make sure no pellets leave your garden and if he really wont play ball then dont pi$$ him off as a visit from plod isnt nice even though your in the right. Be safe
    Making waves since 1971.

Quote Originally Posted by ckp82 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    Depends on the type of fence. Standard panel fencing should be more than adequate. Naturally depends on height, etc. As long as no pellets leave your property, you're perfectly within your rights to shoot to your hearts content. If you've gone the diplomatic route with the neighbour and explained what you're doing, then just ignore him.
    Plinking in your back garden is legal and you are entirely within your rights to do so. There's nothing he can do about it because it's perfectly legal! Only thing to watch out for is that you don't do anything he could construe to be a noise nuisance.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Hi,

I'm very near to you, just down the road from Bilston

I also shoot in my garden and don't really care if I pi$$ anyone off simply because it's MY property.

What I have done is found a thick cardboard box (I had one from a parcel), it easily fits 3-6 targets a time (each target is 10-14cm square).

Make sure it's a deep one, say 20-30cm in depth and literally fill it to the brim with polystyrene and bits of cardboard (mine is full of polystyrene). When it's jam packed, and I mean so packed, you need to hold the box down with your knee (like I did lol), tape it up nice and secure.

Tape any targets onto it and shoot your heart out!

It does the trick for me! I have tried multiple different designs, including manufacturer made, and have found this beats them all.

Each pellet hits the target and goes through into the box - I have absolutely no flyers (You can hear the pellets rattle inside) and they stay there, since it's packed and not empty.

I keep taping new targets on top of the old ones until they appear in 3-d, then I remove them and start again with a new set of targets.

Hope that helps - mail me if you have any questions. I can add pics if you'd lke?