Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Original Mod 50, help please!

Original Mod 50, help please!

I'm new here so treat me gently! If I have put this in the wrong section please can the mods move it. Cheers

I have an Original Mod 50, recently retrieved from my brother. [...and yes I know that I shouldn't lend anyone anything I value... but he is family......still]

When I leant it to him it was in near mint condition and had the original open sights.

It returned in less than a prime state.

There is damage to the chequering advice appreciated on how to repair this.

The rear sights are missing [so were the front but I had a spare] and had been replaced with a scope and mount of unknown heritage. this is horrible and almost useless!

So can anyone help me with the date of manufacture of my Model 50? It is marked with "Made in Germany" on the LHS and has no serial No. or date anywhere that I can see.

I would like to be sure I purchase the correct rear sight [metal] for my Model 50, I have been in touch with T.W.Chambers & Co who are out of stock. John Knibbs believe they may have the correct unit for £43.00 including the P+P however they think there are 2 or 3 different types. Anyone able to help me out here as to what the correct sight should be? Photo please. Distance between screw holes is 40mm.

Scope rail
    seems to be 120mm x 10mm.

I've had this air rifle for 26 years now and I think it deserves a little tlc, besides my brother owes me for the repair & parts he lost.

All information gratefully received.

PS: Apologies for the bad photos.

I have a complete set of sights somewhere not sure what type model 50 they are from, I seem to remember taking them off one I bought new around 1983-4. I remember it wasn't as nice as the older model 50's with just one scope rail at the rear not two as on the older nicer types and got rid of it not long after buying it...
    Dave...

The rear sight you require to be 'correct' may prove to be extremely difficult to source.

It looks like http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...Picture260.jpg

The one shown is for a Mod 35, it is probable that the one for the 50 would have a concave base whereas this one would have a flat one.

It is oddly easier to source a period Diana diopter. I recently bought two (separately) for what I thought was a surprisingly low price, both as new and one still in box!
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    The rear sight you require to be 'correct' may prove to be extremely difficult to source.

It looks like http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...Picture260.jpg

The one shown is for a Mod 35, it is probable that the one for the 50 would have a concave base whereas this one would have a flat one.

It is oddly easier to source a period Diana diopter. I recently bought two (separately) for what I thought was a surprisingly low price, both as new and one still in box!
    The above sight did in fact come off a Mod 50 !
    It was the standard fitting for the mod 35 B, & Available as an upgrade for the 35,
    It fitted on the barrel or the rear of the cylinder, It is attached on the scope rail, It slides on & a screw is turned from the top fixing it to the rail,

This one I think had the Diopter fitted & When I bought it, He kept it?
    The square at the rear has a spring loaded sight that can be rotated with different objective profiles ( Square, V Etc )
    I have bought this unit off another site & am hoping it will come today !
    Here is a Pic of the underside , Cheers , Ged

Excellent info Ged, a bit more input for the knowledgebase.

I wrongly assumed that because the later 35 and 50 rears are not interchangeable, these were not either.

So, when are you going to decide to sell it to me
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    Excellent info Ged, a bit more input for the knowledgebase.

I wrongly assumed that because the later 35 and 50 rears are not interchangeable, these were not either.

So, when are you going to decide to sell it to me
    Ha ha, Hiya mate,
    I have a few Original 35,s < They sell any more, To acheive the best price ( Like the Webley Mk111 ) break them ! The sight ( like all older sights are now rare !

This sight originally came with its own toolkit , With a socket type spanner for adjusting the " Left to Right " Bit, & a leather case,
    I saw one ( Tool kit only ) at a fair but £25 !!!!! Maybe I should have bought it
    I was told the Diopter fits on here too ? ( Anyone know )

I am waiting for the part as I said, post Pics & yes I may well sell it,
    I have these-
    You can see where the sight mounts on the 35S , Either barrel or cylinder, But its not worth much, Better broken ! Cheers, ged.

Last edited by gedfinn 2; 13-05-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Hi, regarding the Original mod 50 sights I mentioned earlier in this thread, I've dug them out of my bits box and taken some photos.
    I would like to know which type mod 50 they are from and what are they worth?

http://www.pbase.com/davecthomson/image/134668272

http://www.pbase.com/davecthomson/image/134668275

http://www.pbase.com/davecthomson/image/134668278

They were removed from the rifle when new and have just been in the bits box for over twenty years...Dave...

Hi all

These sights are from my Original mod50, do they come on any other original guns, I seem to recall years ago owning a mod5 pistol with the same sights fitted

This is the mod50 (anyone know what the designation is for a plain old mod50??

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Thanks for all your help.

I have been asked by PM what type of button is on the underlever.

the underlever button is squarish

pic1

pic2

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi all

These sights are from my Original mod50, do they come on any other original guns, I seem to recall years ago owning a mod5 pistol with the same sights fitted

Cheers, John
    John,

your sights look like the ones I am missing

Is your front sight metal or plastic? I was sure that nine were metal until I couldn't be sure....

do you have any information as to the year your Mod50 is from?

though the others all look interesting I don't think they're correct for my Mod50 only one rail.

Friendly place here.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandshaky View Post
    Hi, regarding the Original mod 50 sights I mentioned earlier in this thread, I've dug them out of my bits box and taken some photos.
    I would like to know which type mod 50 they are from and what are they worth?

http://www.pbase.com/davecthomson/image/134668272

http://www.pbase.com/davecthomson/image/134668275

http://www.pbase.com/davecthomson/image/134668278

They were removed from the rifle when new and have just been in the bits box for over twenty years...Dave...
    Hiya Dave, I would say they are Bsa, Superstar/Goldstar with the Aluminium risers ? £30-£40 ish , Cheers Ged.

[QUOTE=johnbaz;4942737]Hi all

Yes they do, I have a Mod 6 & a 35 with them on , The older models however, Even the wooden stocked Mod 5 & Early Originals were different,
    ( I might have some ? ) Cheers Ged.

Quote Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
    John,

your sights look like the ones I am missing

Is your front sight metal or plastic? I was sure that nine were metal until I couldn't be sure....

do you have any information as to the year your Mod50 is from?

though the others all look interesting I don't think they're correct for my Mod50 only one rail.

Friendly place here.

Hi Emrys

My 50 was made in 1967, the front sight is all metal

Cheers John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    Hiya Dave, I would say they are Bsa, Superstar/Goldstar with the Aluminium risers ? £30-£40 ish , Cheers Ged.
    Hi Jed, they definitely came from a 50, I never owned a Superstar until a few weeks ago...Dave...