Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Original Mod 50, help please!

50b

Hi, my 50b is dated 1966 and has the same sights as the ones jonhbaz showed.

Looking at the stocks of members photos of their Model 50b are they not the same as mine?

Model 50

How do you know the difference?

My Original only states it's a model 50

ID

I have to say I'm now just as confused as to what I need to put my poor old airgun back into shape as I was before I started... only differently confused

Still no date as to manufacture.

I am beginning to think that this was put together from bits back in the 80's [there was a lot of stuff made out of bits in the 60's & 70's Tritons, Tribsas, Norvin and that's just the bikes. Don't get me started on music]

Your ideas here please... not on the 60's & 70's but do I have a bitsa wrong woodwork for metalwork?

No date or serial No. etc

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandshaky View Post
    Hi Jed, they definitely came from a 50, I never owned a Superstar until a few weeks ago...Dave...
    They are not German, seem to be break-barrel BSA

You can also see the rearsight is heavily concave, so as to fit directly on the barrel since the breechblock is underslung to the barrel and hence there is no flat part for sights to fit.
    Last edited by air-tech; 14-05-2011 at 09:22 AM.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Someone on here has a gun that is similar to yours, with the same conundrum, different metalwork but same stock, so don't worry about it being a bitsa - or rather it may be, but it came that way

As far as I know (up to this moment in time!) the "b" model was a reference to upgraded sights, not stock design. Beyond that is the "m" model, with "diopterised" open sights and only then a specific stock (in more than one variant)

If this is correct, your stock would probably be whatever they called (in those days) a deluxe version, and was fitted across varying periods of metalwork design.

Quote Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
    Looking at the stocks of members photos of their Model 50b are they not the same as mine?

Model 50

How do you know the difference?

My Original only states it's a model 50

ID

I have to say I'm now just as confused as to what I need to put my poor old airgun back into shape as I was before I started... only differently confused

Still no date as to manufacture.

I am beginning to think that this was put together from bits back in the 80's [there was a lot of stuff made out of bits in the 60's & 70's Tritons, Tribsas, Norvin and that's just the bikes. Don't get me started on music]

Your ideas here please... not on the 60's & 70's but do I have a bitsa wrong woodwork for metalwork?

No date or serial No. etc
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
    Nice, more info. I thought that Diana started dating the guns in '67, it appears to be '66.

So anything without a date is at the latest '66, or pre-'66.

I dont know whether this will clarify the sight situation or even help but heres a few photos of the rear sight fitted to my Org 35B and 50B.

Sight complete

The clip on peep sight adaptor

The standard (bare) open rear sight.

Hope that helps,
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    Hiya Dave, I would say they are Bsa, Superstar/Goldstar with the Aluminium risers ? £30-£40 ish , Cheers Ged.
    I can confirm, in fact I would bet a chocolate biscuit , that these sights are off a BSA Super/Goldstar.

BSA S/Star on this occasion.

...and the front sight

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 14-05-2011 at 10:11 AM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Nice background

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I dont know whether this will clarify the sight situation or even help but heres a few photos of the rear sight fitted to my Org 35B and 50B.

Sight complete

The clip on peep sight adaptor

The standard (bare) open rear sight.

Hope that helps,
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandshaky View Post
    Hi, regarding the Original mod 50 sights I mentioned earlier in this thread, I've dug them out of my bits box and taken some photos.
    I would like to know which type mod 50 they are from and what are they worth?

http://www.pbase.com/davecthomson/image/134668272

http://www.pbase.com/davecthomson/image/134668275

http://www.pbase.com/davecthomson/image/134668278

They were removed from the rifle when new and have just been in the bits box for over twenty years...Dave...
    Hi Dave, Its amazing how much alike they are to these BSA Sights ? Ha ha,
    Pic-
    Pic-
    Pic-

The one with the riser is ( I think a Superstar ? ) The top 2, Risers are for the rear of the cylinder sight fixing , Bsa,
    Just kidding mate!!!! All the best mate, Ged.

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    Someone on here has a gun that is similar to yours, with the same conundrum, different metalwork but same stock, so don't worry about it being a bitsa - or rather it may be, but it came that way

As far as I know (up to this moment in time!) the "b" model was a reference to upgraded sights, not stock design. Beyond that is the "m" model, with "diopterised" open sights and only then a specific stock (in more than one variant)

If this is correct, your stock would probably be whatever they called (in those days) a deluxe version, and was fitted across varying periods of metalwork design.
    Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    ....So anything without a date is at the latest '66, or pre-'66.

Thanks for the input air-tech I think we are getting somewhere now

I have a Model 50 standard. Not a "b" or an "m" [only one scope rail]

It is pre 1966 [no serial number or date]

It has the fancy stock with the "lets go mad" chequering.

The front sight is metal and appears to be correct.

Cheers crowbar

My rear sight looked like that too.

So now we all know for sure what I'm looking for.

Has anyone got one and how much?

Hiya mate, I have had a number of these !
    I would bet NO Plastic sights were available until ( A Guess ! ) Late 70,s I have never had an earlier gun with them .

I was also looking at the original thread starter ! ( No offence mate just a clarification ) He said the metal sight from Chambers was £40 ish & they had none !

It reminded me of the guy going into a scrap yard & Asking for a cortina Mk 111 door, He asked the scrapman " How much "
    He said £10 but I have any !

He went to the next scrap yard & there propped against the wall was the item in question !
    He asked " How much " £20 was the reply , £20 !!!!!!!
    The scrapyard down the road sells them for £10 but he doesn,t have any !
    The curt reply was instantaneous ! When I have any, Mine are £10

Chambers sell Relum trigger springs for £8 + post ! What if the Did have one, Just a thought Ged.

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post

I was also looking at the original thread starter ! ( No offence mate just a clarification ) He said the metal sight from Chambers was £40 ish & they had none
    No offence taken Ged.

As stated in the first post I'm new here and don't know how you work things on this forum.

Perhaps it would be better for me to say that if anyone has a rear sight that they are willing so sell to me can they please PM me with a price.

After all it's my brother who will be paying

Models

Just some info about D50.

They were made between 1952 and 1987. There were 7 different models produced; 50, 50A, 50B, 50M, 50S, 50T Type 1, and 50T Type 2 (Military).

During the production years the D50 could be ordered with open sights or with a diopter. Some early models had a really thin diopter, and I assume they replaced it with the same diopter as was used on D60. The stock has been produced in at least three different models.
    (This info comes from "Golle" in Sweden)

D50 is a quite rare gun in Germany, I guess the D60 - D75 models with the Giss system took over the market, and also other brands with models with little or no recoil.
    During the last three years, only 6 D50 has been sold on egun, with a price between 158 and 376 Euro, much depending on condition. During the same period more than 1500 FWB300S has been sold. This is the link to the sales statistics (XL-format).

I found this old ad for Diana 50, at the bottom you will find some info about diopters and open sights.

/ Micke
    Last edited by Micke1; 14-05-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Micke1 View Post

D50 is a quite rare gun in Germany,

During the last three years, only 6 D50 has been sold on egun,

/ Micke
    Micke I have precisely 10 D50s in my watchlist alone on Egun from 13/02/2011 (3 months) so it seems many D50s have escaped your statistics ;-)

There does not seem to be any shortage of them, I would be surprised if there were seeing as so many Dianas were/are sold in Germany for obvious reasons.

@ air-tech

I only monitor "Match air guns", not "Air guns" and that must be the reason. The "Air guns" part is so full with various stuff and junk that I discarded it. Some guns are sold both under "Match air guns" and "Air guns" at the same time though.

/ Micke