Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stirrup Pumps

Stirrup Pumps

I see so many different ones on the market for all different prices can anyone tell me what the differences are because on reading they all read the same.

Some will contain filters to help stop moisture , some work better than others , the Hills pumps contain a dri pack but how effective it is I've no idea , it looks like it filters the air as its going in , not once its been compressed , Andy had one and it was clearly rusty on the inside after a few uses. The FX one contains a magic Filter , they are basically glass balls that the condensation seems to stick to, I'm no sponsor of FX stuff but I do have one , mine actually has 2 of these magic filters inside it, they do a very good job of catching the moisture, but it's swings and roundabouts , the FX aren't designed to be serviced , the hills ones are , then again the FX and Hills are very expensive , Amazon had a session a while back , although they were all cheap Chinese offerings , they were doing them for about £6 delivered , they work absolutely fine and came with spares .

I always run a seperate inline filter on my hose as well , on the FX the cotton filter never even gets damp, so the magic filters must work quite well . But I'd recomend an inline filter whatever type you might purchase , as long as you take it easy, pump then stop and let things cooldown , then pump again, you'll fill a rifle no problem and won't die trying
    Last edited by brk1; 02-11-2023 at 07:26 PM.

What inline filter do you recommend?

Thanks

Have you tried using a stirrup pump?
    I had one years ago, I bought it as I couldnt afford a divers bottle. I used it three times. They are the worst thing to use, and you’ll regret getting one. Wait to save up £100 more, then buy a divers bottle that makes refills so easy.

totally agree with above

pump hahahaha ! tried one years ago waste of time gunshops love you buying them because its a return sale
    When you go back and buy a bottle

If your able bodied and reasonably fit, using a pump ain't a problem. Pumping cylinder guns is relatively easy imo, bottle guns though ,R10 for example, bugger that.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    If your able bodied and reasonably fit, using a pump ain't a problem. Pumping cylinder guns is relatively easy imo, bottle guns though ,R10 for example, bugger that.
    Second this. Cylinder guns are ok but bugger trying to pump a r10/rapid bottle.

Interested in this. I decided to get a second (smaller) bottle as a backup instead because I live in Cumbria; a pretty damp part of the country and I worry about the water vapour which is always in air, getting into my guns. Where I used to work (now retired) we ran nice German 11kw industrial compressors and removed about 30 litres of condensate from each on most damp or rainy days. We cooled the air before it got to the dryer.
    How much water does a hand or portable electric pump remove? I imagine that using a hand pump, one would have to pump slowly and have the trap quite a long way from the pump to get the air cool enough to drop much moisture out of it. How effectively do the portable electric compressors do this? A 300 bar heat exchanger sounds a bit special; or am I missing something?
    I have the luxury of using bottled air and I get them filled at a dive centre. This is because they supply breathing air and so far as I know; breathing air is always well filtered and dried.

At our range we have had many people turn up with a stirrup pump. We say to them about buying a bottle but
    they reply I don't mind doing this I do it all the time at home in the garden.

I then say it's one thing doing it twice in the garden but when you're down here all day and you do it 5 or 6 times
    you will change your mind, no no no I am happy for the exercise.

The next time they turn up with a bottle.

Ade
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

I know a few years back the Brocock & Webley stirrup pumps were badged FX made, & the instruction leaflet still said FX on it,

Most moisture is removed by condensation due to expansion cooling, which is why the vent is at the base & when you vent it, drops of water come out, (ps always leave the vent open after use)
    generally the inline filters are for particulates not moisture.

The main differences are the number of stages, good ones now are 4 or 5 stage, and the basic build quality / parts availability.

When new to pcp's, a S200 I had a hills pump, hard work. Next pcp was a S10. I ditched the pump for a dive tank. Stayed with the tank ever since. Over time reading about dry air / filters etc confirmed to me a dive tank was the best option.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

I use a 3 stage BSA pump, 200bar tubes like AirArms are a doddle But I do have to jump up n down on it to get 230bar into my Wildcat... so I dont, 200bar is enough shots for me to get very bored.
    The cheap single action pumps from China... not good, the only way they could be more of a pain in the back-trumpet is if they were inserted there.
    Moisture... Having just had my rifles re-sealed, I can report that my S310 and Ultra tubes are corrosion free after 4 and 3 years of pumping respectively.
    Though...
    I do store my pump in the coldest part of the coldest room in my abode along with my rifles. Wip is QR coupled to the pump - I put the blanking plug in, tighten the bleed, give it a few pumps and open the bleed to get any moisture out. Once pumping, I go half way then crack the bleed then start again, the other reason I dont fully charge the Wildcat is that things start to get Hot past 215ish.
    And if I cant be bothered / everything Murphies at once / World Ends?
    I got 9 springers to choose from

I've just bought a vevor 3 stage pump off the bay as my Hills mk4 stopped working and even after changing all the seals and filters with their service kit it still refuses to work. I have a 7ltr cylinder and an elltech compressor but like to have a stirrup pump aswell... you can never have too many options.
    One shot, one kill. Not luck, just skill.

I've only ever used a Hill mk4, so can't really comment on differences, but what I can say is that I used it to fill my R10 with no problems. You just need to learn the correct technique and take your time.

I would rather use a bottle to be honest, but during lock down, I didn't have much choice.

I've now got a Hill compressor, but I wouldn't get rid of the pump, just in case.

Cheers,

Mark.