Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sussex Interclub HFT 2011 Round 3 - RESULTS

You could well be right sausage, can't argue!?
    Just always thought air had to be discharged!

I stand corrected (sure a lot of people don't realise this though...)

XX
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Interesting discussion, but I do feel that the wording "if the gun goes off" does leave a teeny bit of room for interpretation and I can understand why some (many?) would have thought this meant hearing the 'bang' noise.

My interpretation would be in accord with the man who paints his letters green, along lines of ...... if you're on target, fully prepared to take the shot, only to find that pulling the trigger results in the discovery of a failure to load pellet/close action/whatever then the firing cycle is complete and the result scored on the outcome of that cycle. Otherwise we'll have Styer owners modifying their guns to mute the 'click'

Perhaps we do need a ruling from Sparky or other UKAHFT senior.

Biggles

Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

Tough one i agree!
    How many people have pulled their trigger, only to find the safety on....

When i had a Steyr, leaving the lever 'open' was my safety...same as my Walther, i only leave it open for safety..!?
    I wouldn't leave it open if i had a safety catch and if i didn't have a safety catch or Steyr / Walther i may load later

With my CRX, i open the bolt, place the pellet in and close the bolt.
    Only when i am happy do i cycle the bolt fully..sometimes forget and pull trigger and nothing hapens, so i cycle the bolt!

Going to be hard to enforce anything but an expulsion of air i reckon?
    are we getting too anal?...mean't to be having fun.
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

I always believed the gun had to complete its firing cycle to
    say the gun went off. I thought it had to discharge.
    If the firing cycle is stopped at any stage then it hasnt
    fired, I often forget to switch my Daystate on just before
    taking a shot.
    Bob
    Last edited by Splund; 18-05-2011 at 06:57 AM.

Mog is offline Mog has so much potential but does not apply himself fully.
    St Hilaire du Harcouët, Lower Normandy/East Sussex
    Quote Originally Posted by Splund View Post
    I always believed the gun had to complete its firing cycle to
    say the gun went off. I thought it had to discharge.
    If the firing cycle is stopped at any stage then it hasnt
    fired, I often forget to switch my Daystate on just before
    taking a shot.
    Bob
    My opinion too.
    Truttemer Tir Club

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité

So what happens if you are using a Weihrauch springer and forget to take the safety off? Pull the trigger and... nowt? Same as not pushing a Steyr bolt forward or not switching on a Daystate, you haven't completed the preparation stage. But if the ruling is that if you intend taking the shot and it doesn't go off, you have to apply it to everyone regardless of circumstance.

Seems harsh.

Easiest other option is - did it go pop? Yes? Donut. No? Off you go again.

Or you could try and assess whether the pellet left the barrel - could be done, I have thought about this.

I would rather have faith in my fellow man and go for one of the more user-friendly options.

I suggest that trying to impose a rule that disallows a shot where a Daystate was still switched off would be far more open to abuse than giving the marshall some degree of discretion. The complete silence of the action and the lack of movement required to click that switch up would cause far more arguments and wrong calls

Richard
    http://www.ford-hft.org.uk
    You come into this world with nothing, go out in debt and you've made a profit

And another thing..

I often approach the shot with an unloaded rfile - especially on standers where you have to take the shot from either side of a tree. Rather than wave a loaded rifle around I line up the shot, then load. Who is to judge whether I meant to load a pellet and take the shot the first time I looked through the scope? If we are applying the strict rules then forgetting to load at all is as much a donut as forgetting to complete the loading cycle - even worse in fact? Do I have to declare every time I look through the scope that my rifle is unloaded?

Richard
    Last edited by Enthusiast; 18-05-2011 at 05:27 PM.

...calm down darlink! X
    Don't think you can ever have a perfect world but the "if it doesn't go bang" ruling has to be the easiest to apply!?

keep it simple, is my vote....and i have had my share of donuts for trying to 'blow' a target over!...

XX

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    From UKAHFT air has to be discharged.

Thats simple then isn't it.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Thats what I thought Andy..
    I believe that is 2-0 to me now Mr burgermiester

Quote Originally Posted by blackscale View Post
    ...calm down darlink! X
    Don't think you can ever have a perfect world but the "if it doesn't go bang" ruling has to be the easiest to apply!?

keep it simple, is my vote....and i have had my share of donuts for trying to 'blow' a target over!...

XX

rant rant ranty rant

I feel better for it though

And another thing...

MojoCrow is offline It rubs the lotion on the anarchist ginger tom.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    ......And another thing...
    Yeah, why can't we mess around with our scopes like we can with our rifles?
    Customised AA S400 Carbine
    Ros beef, go home! www.buxtedshootingclub.co.uk SiHFT winners 2008 2009 2010

Quote Originally Posted by MojoCrow View Post
    Yeah, why can't we mess around with our scopes like we can with our rifles?
    ...yeah! why not...i wanna twiddle as well!

X

you could have all club captains as judge
    one allowed type of gun
    one type of scope
    one shooter from each club
    then scores would be more even too like eurovision
    the rest of us just turn up to watch
    this is a joke
    WALTHER DOMINATOR LG300.
    "The Oaks"

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Quote Originally Posted by simmmo View Post
    From UKAHFT air has to be discharged.

Thats simple then isn't it.

Andy
    While that may well be what they actually apply during the national series, but it's not expressed as such in the current UKAHFT rules, Sir Andy. No mention of air or discharge there; or have I missed something?

I'm personally happy with the 'goes bang' measure, and speak as one who has suffered from this infringment on more than one ocassion when using my AA400, having failed to ensure the bolt was 100% closed. Lost a few points in various comps as result.

However, as result of all the above I would like either for clarification from UKAHFT or for us (SIHFT) to come up with one.

Biggles
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member