Thread: Walther LP53

Walther LP53

I have just bought a nice virtually unmarked Walther LP53.The pistol is nearly 40 years old and I'm sure could do with a good internal springclean.The problem is removing the piston end-cap under the pistol grip. At the moment the cap is completely unmarked and shows no signs of having ever been removed and I'd like it to stay that way.So the question is does anyone have any ideas about removing it without damage.I've seen too many with stillson marks over the years and rather than mark it I will leave well alone.
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    I have just bought a nice virtually unmarked Walther LP53.The pistol is nearly 40 years old and I'm sure could do with a good internal springclean.The problem is removing the piston end-cap under the pistol grip. At the moment the cap is completely unmarked and shows no signs of having ever been removed and I'd like it to stay that way.So the question is does anyone have any ideas about removing it without damage.I've seen too many with stillson marks over the years and rather than mark it I will leave well alone.
    Pete.
    I use a THICK piece of Leather (old belt) which I wrap around the base to protect any Knurling etc on any item.

The cap should not be that hard to undo?

Stillsons

A pipe wrench is far more efficient at really buggering up that sort of thing
    If it's not broke don"t fix it!
    http://www.vintageairguns.co.uk/

Lp53

I had tried the belt trick but to no avail.I must admit I have never been defeated before in taking any airgun apart but this one has got me.
    When I first got the pistol it was running around 260 fps but after some externally applied lubing it now runs at around 330 fps and is very consistent .
    I have applied some penetrating oil around the cap and will see what happens over time.
    I like your "if it aint broken" tag and may well leave alone since I'm not sure what improvement over 330 fps is possible on this type of pistol.
    Thanks for your reply, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    I had tried the belt trick but to no avail.I must admit I have never been defeated before in taking any airgun apart but this one has got me.
    When I first got the pistol it was running around 260 fps but after some externally applied lubing it now runs at around 330 fps and is very consistent .
    I have applied some penetrating oil around the cap and will see what happens over time.
    I like your "if it aint broken" tag and may well leave alone since I'm not sure what improvement over 330 fps is possible on this type of pistol.
    Thanks for your reply, Pete.
    Sounds as if it's been Locktighted

Very Wise, to leave it alone, as you might just open a can of worms?
    If it's not broke don"t fix it!
    http://www.vintageairguns.co.uk/

Try a rubber strap wrench.

Not had one of these but had the Polish Lucznik copy, I think Walther rated the LP53 at about 350fps. As long as it's accurate it sounds alright.

Torrens

Quote Originally Posted by supaspark View Post
    Try a rubber strap wrench.
    I tried that but made out of leather.I remembered making up something similar many years ago to remove the oil filter from my car.
    Thanks anyway, Pete.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    It ain't broke, don't mend it! There are a lot of nice old guns ruined by bodgers trying to find another 50 fps, yours is average, there's little in them that dies with age, leave it and enjoy it.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    It ain't broke, don't mend it! There are a lot of nice old guns ruined by bodgers trying to find another 50 fps, yours is average, there's little in them that dies with age, leave it and enjoy it.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Thats the conclusion I've come to.It's a great pistol and such a joy to shoot.
    Thanks for all your replies.
    Pete.