Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new/old Baikal MP654k...

My new/old Baikal MP654k...

Hi my Mak arrived yesterday, It's a 2000 model according to the serial# and so makes it one of the better quality ones

I still have yet to gas it up as i've not had time due to work but I think tomorrow will be good

Some pix...

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Can't wait 'til tomozz to play but i'm fairly sure I only have Co2 cart I'll have to nip over to NMP and buy a box

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Got plenty of lead BB in stock then?
    Lovely gun, good to hear it'll get used!
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Got plenty of lead BB in stock then?
    Lovely gun, good to hear it'll get used!
    ATB,
    Nick

I've a load of 4.4mm leadshot that I bought for my Anschutz mod275, in the manual for the mak it says the calibre is 4.5mm, ammo used 4.4mm yet they give you steel 4.5mm shot with it

I read somewhere that if you use 4.5 steel shot, it will operate OK until the gas cart has run low, the shot then starts to jam in the barrel...

Cheers, John

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I've a load of 4.4mm leadshot that I bought for my Anschutz mod275, in the manual for the mak it says the calibre is 4.5mm, ammo used 4.4mm yet they give you steel 4.5mm shot with it

I read somewhere that if you use 4.5 steel shot, it will operate OK until the gas cart has run low, the shot then starts to jam in the barrel...

Cheers, John
    John,
    The bag of steel shot is still in the box with all Maks worth having, showing that the previous owners have ignored it and used lead bb in the rifled barrel
    It's inadvisable to use steel BB in rifled barrels, accuracy will be far poorer than with lead and rifling damage is inevitable,
    ATB,
    Nick

Baikal MAK

Nice pistol, but Is'nt the Umarex MAK the better shooter?

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Put lead BB in the Baikal and because it has a rifled barrel the grouping is better

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post

Hi Coburn

I was told that the Umarex version is cruddy zinc alloy (better known as monkey metal) whereas the Baikal is proper wearpons grade steel, the 9mm Makarov shares 90% of the parts with the airgun and is a really solid pistol that's made side by side with the real pistol in the Baikal factory in Russia..

Also, the Ruskie pistol can be stripped to carry out maintenance, ie, oil the trigger parts etc..

John

MAK

http://www.co2airguns.net/Collection...arov/index.htm
    http://www.co2airguns.net/Collection...arov/index.htm

It was because of these two reveiws on CO2 collection. I agree that construction wise the Baikal MAK is better. But for fun the Umarex pips it?
    Last edited by coburn; 13-07-2011 at 06:23 PM.

The Co2 Replica site is a very good resource, pretty comprehensive reviews on all Co2 pistols (that guy just loves his guns).

The Umarex pips the Baikal on FPS, and trigger pull, my Baikal is VERY heavy on the DA. Shoots well tho, lead bbs FTW

The realism of the Baikal is better due it being an (almost) direct conversion of the firearm. Slide racks with the force of a real mainspring, it fieldstrips and magazine use is just like the genuine article. This increases the fun factor for me, as I secretly like to pretend that I'm James Bond

I know that bond is famous for the PPK (a lower powered western equivalent of the Mak) and I also know (normally) that I am NOT James Bond.

@Johnbaz
    Glad you got a pre 2009 version (mine is 1999) thought you said in an earlier post it was only 5 years old? Is the magazine very picky about BBS? I can get maybe one out of eight Gamo lead BBS to cooperate. I maybe need a new mag from RusMilitary, but at £78 a pop, its a bit steep.

I am the Norfolk Bond. Ooo Arr 7

Gilgamesh

Shame youre not from Essex then you could have been "Basildon Bond" sorry old joke.

Good to see its not just me thats got that Bond thing everytime I've got my MAK out!

Nice pistol Ive always wanted one of the original baikal maks but the prices just seem to keep creeping up and up and up. And thats if you can find one for sale.
    hoplophobe

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    The Co2 Replica site is a very good resource, pretty comprehensive reviews on all Co2 pistols (that guy just loves his guns).

The Umarex pips the Baikal on FPS, and trigger pull, my Baikal is VERY heavy on the DA. Shoots well tho, lead bbs FTW

The realism of the Baikal is better due it being an (almost) direct conversion of the firearm. Slide racks with the force of a real mainspring, it fieldstrips and magazine use is just like the genuine article. This increases the fun factor for me, as I secretly like to pretend that I'm James Bond

I know that bond is famous for the PPK (a lower powered western equivalent of the Mak) and I also know (normally) that I am NOT James Bond.

@Johnbaz
    Glad you got a pre 2009 version (mine is 1999) thought you said in an earlier post it was only 5 years old? Is the magazine very picky about BBS? I can get maybe one out of eight Gamo lead BBS to cooperate. I maybe need a new mag from RusMilitary, but at £78 a pop, its a bit steep.

I am the Norfolk Bond. Ooo Arr 7
    Hi Gilgamesh (Am I chatting to a god??)

The chap I got it from said it was five years old but I think he must have meant he had owned it for five years and had probably bought it s/h.
    According to the first part of the serial# (T00), it's a 2000 model..

I still haven't tied the pistol yet, it looks like I only have one CO2 cart left

Ooof!!- £78 is a bit rich for a magazine

Cheers, John

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Ooof!!- £78 is a bit rich for a magazine
    Yes, but bear in mind that 80% of the gun's firing mechanism is contained within the magazine and the price makes a bit more sense. It's not like how it is with regular firearms where the magazine is just a container and spring feed. With one of these it's that plus CO2 holding and piercing, valve and expansion chamber. Much more complicated than a regular magazine.

A similar magazine for an ASG CZ75 only costs about £25. Doesn't fit the Mak of course, but indicates that the Russian one is perhaps overpriced.

True enough. But I guess maybe the mark up is so high on the mak because of the manufacturing and importation processes that go into it. After all, the mak itself is not a cheap gun for what it is.