Thread: Lincoln Air Pistol...Need Help

Lincoln Air Pistol...Need Help

Hi there,

I am new to the forum. I am hoping someone can help me with some info on my air pistol. I have an antique lincoln pistol. It is incredibly good condition. The top says THE "LINCOLN" AIR PISTOL, and has an A2 stamped in a small square. It has serial number 1004 in four locations, it actually has 04 on two of the locations. The blueing seems really good, especially considering ones I have seen on the internet. The side of the pistol says best english make. I am not a collector, my wife's grandfather won this in a poker game over 50 years ago. I am trying to find out some more info on the gun. When was it made? How many were made? What was the original purpose of these pistols? What is the approximate value (low and high)? I know it is pretty rare, but I am having trouble finding info on the gun. I saw one on an auction, but mine appears to be in much better condition. I really appreciate any info you can provide. I have pics, just not sure how to post them. I can email them though.

L.D.
    Savannah, GA

Email me the pics and I'll host them for you. I've PM'd you my address.

Nice old pistols, made in the 1920s IIRC. I don't have access to my books right now but I'm sure someone with a copy of Hiller will chime in shortly.

I think complete ones sell for £300 to £400 or so, but if it's in exceptionally good condition who knows, perhaps quite a bit more. They are rare but do come up from time to time. I have a vague idea that under 1,500 were made.

I have shot one. Beautifully engineered. Very low power.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I came across this auction from 2002 - sold for £447:

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/l...jectID=3885206

And this one (can't see a date - possibly last year) went for £210:

http://www.fieldingsauctioneers.co.u...=60&hasImage=1

And here's bit of text about the manufacturer (at least I assume it's the same "Lincoln"):

https://store.bluebookinc.com/Instan...oduct=4&id=120

LJ pistol

Hi LDNRED, guessing you're not in the UK ( GA- Georgia?), Beeman's Blue Book gives values of $400-$2500 US depending on condition so a nice rare item. These things were made in small quantities with various detail differences so some types may have extra appeal to collectors. Your wife's grandfather did good in that poker game.

Torrens

Here are the pics of LD's Lincoln - and a beauty is too.

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Pic 4
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Smile Thanks for posting Pics!

Garvin,

Thank you for posting the pics. As you can see, the blueing appears to be in pretty good shape compared to others I have seen. It appears to be original. I have had it for almost 14 years but didn't realize what I had. Also, it is the 0.22 cal, not the 0.177. I appreciate all the help!

L.D.

Now that is the best Lincoln Pistol I have ever seen. Got to be worth £500 of anyones money in that lovely original condition.

Lakey

Thank you for the info

All,

Thanks for the great info you have sent. I am finding out more about this pistol each day. I am pretty excited about it, but I do not collect airguns, so I am going to sell it. I love the gun, but a collector would appreciate it more.

Lincoln Air Pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by LDNRED View Post
    Garvin,

Thank you for posting the pics. As you can see, the blueing appears to be in pretty good shape compared to others I have seen. It appears to be original. I have had it for almost 14 years but didn't realize what I had. Also, it is the 0.22 cal, not the 0.177. I appreciate all the help!

L.D.
    Hi,

I have a Standard model Lincoln which seems in similar condition to yours which I aquired at an Arms Fair for £300 some four years ago. The blueing process used for these pistols was not particularly good, so it is rare to find one with much original finish remaining. What is more interesting about your pistol is the calibre. According to John Griffith's "Encylopedia of Spring Air Pistols" the Standard model was only produced in .177unlike the much rarer extended cylinder model which was produced in both .177 & .22. The cylinder (grip) on the standard model was 5.75 inches long whereas the extended cylinder was either 7 or 8 inches in length. If your pistol is is definately an extended cylinder version it would definately realise around the £500 mark should you ever consider parting with it.

Regards

Brian

Looks like the standard cylinder length pistol - if so almost unique in .22 assuming the barrel hasn't been bored out by a previous owner, which seems unlikely given the condition?
    The MV would be very low indeed so if it had been produced commercially in .22, and it would have surely flopped sales wise?
    It definitely is .22 then?

Lincoln Jeffries Air Pistol For Sale in great condition

Hi all,

I have decided after all to sell my Lincoln airpistol. I have taken it to a few gun shows recently to get additional information (its amazing how little folks in Georgia (US) know about British Air Pistols). From what I have learned, it is in fact an original 22 caliber gun. The finish is in outstanding shape and it still shoots, I had to give it a shot. If you are interested in purchasing this beautiful gun for your collection, please PM me. I would like to get at least $850 (US) (approx 525 BP). I know this is a very fair and good deal especially considering the rarity of the caliber. There are pictures above that Gavin loaded for me, but I would also be happy to take any other shots or angles you want. I would also be willing to take it to a third party gun dealer of your choice in the area if you require any further evaluation. Thanks again, just PM me and we can work out the details.

L.D.

Quote Originally Posted by LDNRED View Post
    Hi all,

I have decided after all to sell my Lincoln airpistol. I have taken it to a few gun shows recently to get additional information (its amazing how little folks in Georgia (US) know about British Air Pistols). From what I have learned, it is in fact an original 22 caliber gun. The finish is in outstanding shape and it still shoots, I had to give it a shot. If you are interested in purchasing this beautiful gun for your collection, please PM me. I would like to get at least $850 (US) (approx 525 BP). I know this is a very fair and good deal especially considering the rarity of the caliber. There are pictures above that Gavin loaded for me, but I would also be happy to take any other shots or angles you want. I would also be willing to take it to a third party gun dealer of your choice in the area if you require any further evaluation. Thanks again, just PM me and we can work out the details.

L.D.
    Hi L.D,

You will need to start a separate sales thread to comply with forum rules, which do not allow members to buy or offer to buy on the back of a valuation thread.

Your LJ certainly looks to be in very fine condition. Good luck with the sale.

John

Lincoln posted to proper area

All,

Thank you, I have posted to the proper area. Thanks again for all the assistance!

L.D.