Thread: ProTsc-1911 - Hands On

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    boff180 Guest

ProTsc-1911 - Hands On

Hi All,

Picked up my PROTSC-1911 from young Mr Starley yesterday afternoon and have decided to start a review thread for it.

I haven't shot it yet and will upload photo's and add another post to the thread once I have.

What do you get
    You get the pistol, a 10-shot magazine (standard gsg-1911 mag), Viper carry case, tool kit and manual.
    I opted for the standard wood grips which are of very high quality and I have added the stainless steel barrel shroud and pearce finger grips to the gun. A barrel shroud is a must, they look fugly without one.

Initial Thoughts
    This lbp is superbly balanced and fits nicely in the hands, the trigger is also fairly light. Getting used to operating the gun with no-less than three safety mechanisms (standard, grip and magazine) is going to be a little tricky.... if you operate the slide/cock the gun without a magazine in it, you cannot de-cock the gun, you have to insert an empty magazine to do this. On the plus side, the slide auto locks back on last round and stays locked back while the magazine is changed.
    The only niggle with mine is some slight damage to the slide, this has not been caused by manufacture, from where it is, I would summise that the proof house clamped it in a metal vice without protection! The mark has taken off the blueing by the front sight down to the metal, I've temporarily filled this with a black chip-stick until I can get a more permanent fix. I can however, confirm that the slide is definately some form of alloy!

Stripping
    This thing is extremely easy to strip and clean. Removing one pin and a screw allows you to completely disassemble the slide and remove the barrel within 1 minute (with a bit of practice). The bolt and firing pin are (semi)permanently attached to the slide but with the slide taken off can be easily cleaned. The ability to remove the barrel (including the chamber and extractor) makes it a doddle to clean this! When I took mine apart I found the only lubriacation was on the bolt so I have coated all the contact surfaces on the barrel, slide and frame with a thin layer of oil just to help prevent wear.
    The lower frame cannot be disassembled without voiding the warranty however due to the design all that is exposed to the firing chamber is the trigger sear and the magazine well, the rest of the mechanism seems to be sealed in such a way that crud should not get inside, a quick blast of lube down by the hammer should keep it running fine for a long time.

Re-assembly
    Providing you remember to put the recoil spring back in the right direction and are gentle replacing the slide stop (a little fiddly), it takes about 2-3 minutes to get from fully stripped to ready to fire. I never thought a LBP would be so easy to take apart and put together.

I cannot wait to get down the range Sunday and put a few hundred rounds through this baby at 25 metres

Hope you find this of interest.

Andy

boff180 Guest
    Evening all, just to update the thread with a couple of rubbish pictures taken on my phone

Firstly - The Pistol - Click Here
    Secondly - Stripped as far as you can go - Click Here

Andy

Hi
    Very interested in this pistol let us know how she goes.
    Peter

i too am looking forward to seeing and reading about this. A guy at my club has got one of these on order, he reckons another week and he will have it .

Looking forward to some more pictures as well.

you mind if you could tell me how much this was in total for your build, you can pm with it if you want to instead of putting it on display.

craig

boff180 Guest
    Well this morning was fun!

Put 250 rounds down it at the range this morning so can now update here with some more comments.

Firstly, I am not going to discuss accuracy, I have not yet got my "eye" in with the sights so can't give it my all. Initial views show two-handed that you can get a 3 inch group at 25 metres quite easily. Single-handed even tighter, but I'll update this after my next day at the range.

The things I'll cover today:- Ease of Use, Magazines, Trigger and Reliability/Build.

Ease of Use
    The balance of the pistol with the counterweight is beautiful for fun shooting, when compared against the lightweight version of the Buckmark at the range, weight wise the 1911 is slightly heavier but not by much. Looks wise, everyone agreed the Buckmark was beaten hands down.

Whilst the controls have been set up for right handed people, thanks to this being a pistol they are fine for use by a lefty with the slide release and mag release well within easy reach! The only fiddly bit is trying to manually lock the slide open when arriving at the range to prove clear.etc. However, its far easier to pop an empty mag in and pull the slide back and then remove the mag, the auto hold locks it back automatically

Recoil, boy does this thing kick , I like! Also worth a mention, due to the design and shorter barrel, ammunition is much noisier than out of a rifle! CCI Standard sounded like Mini-Mag!

Magazines
    These really are great, with a follower bolt allowing you to very easily and quickly load 10 rounds in a mag. On ejection, they quite litterally fall out into your hand. I have noticed the blueing has rubbed off in some places on the mags already from friction, I would therefore recommend coating them in a thin film of oil to help prevent wear.

The slide also locks back on last round allowing for a very quick mag change.... practical shooters take note!

As mentioned in another thread, putting a magazine in the gun can be a little tricky, as it has to be pushed home against the safety spring between the prongs of the counter weight, this would be much easier with an extension such as the Pachmayr rubber endings on which, would allow you to "slap" the mag in. My next upgrade I think!

Trigger
    Can't fault it, the pull is quite light and the let off is very sharp, its good fun trying to see how fast you can double tap... on target fighting the recoil! The trigger will not operate under any circumstances without the slide forward and a magazine loaded.

Reliability/Build Quality
    My only concern on the build side in the blueing, it isn't very deep and of air arms(ish) quality. A bit of care with a bit of oil and tlc will be needed to keep her in top condition.

Reliability wise, out of 250 rounds I had one combined Failure to Feed/Fire which the pistol had a job ejecting, the round was quite tight in the chamber and fired on second attempt... so I put that one down to the ammo. Otherwise, I had one other Failure to Feed where the round being fed from the mag sprang upwards and was rammed into the edge of the breach at 45 degrees! I was using CCI Standard. Apart from these two rounds she was flawless.

Am I happy? YES!
    Would I buy one of these in a heartbeat? YES!

I hope thats of interest and I hope to add an accuracy update soon!

Andy

Gotta love a 1911, used to have one back in the U.K. during the 80's, a Colt .45 that was built in WWII that was unused. I now have a Commander version that's my carry gun. Regarding your pistol, is this configuration designed to to exploit a loophole in the Firearms Act? I thought handguns were banned after the Dunblane Massacre? I hope you enjoy the new pistol.
    Last edited by Vulcanator; 22-05-2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: spelling
    Webley Vulcan .22, Webley Tempest .177, Beeman Kodiak .25, Beeman R9 .177, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Slavia 618 .177, Colt Commander .45ACP, Browning Hi-Power 9mm, Bushmaster AR-15 5.56/.223