Thread: ProTsc-1911 - Hands On

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bushing

The barrel on the GSG 1911 is fixed (unlike the Colt) by the release lever, screw and pin so it is the position of the sights on the slide that may vary very slightly with a sloppy front bush - if you do the sums then a difference in front sight position of 1/5th mm (8 thou of an inch) will lead to a 50mm (2") dispersion at the 25 metre target (assuming a sight radius of 100 mm for ease of calculation and the front of the slide moving out relative to the back sight so sitting slightly skew on the barrel) - reducing the front bush clearance by 2 thou all round i.e. 4 thou in total possible movement would in theory close up the group to approximately 25mm i.e. reduce by 25mm - if there is indeed any shot-to-shot position change of the slide

So I guess a tighter bushing may make a difference and it may affect the function of the slide. I'll think about it - Looking at measured differences on this thread and some of the groups mentioned here and elsewhere it doesn't seem to move much though!

I did machine a new guide rod in stainless and aluminium and made it full length - and made it fit the guide rod hole in the slide better by using 5mm stainless rod - the result feels much better and I think it has closed down the groups and I'd recommend it as a mod. The original die-cast rod is a bit of a sloppy fit and a bit nasty and it breaks.
    Last edited by quadlock; 08-02-2013 at 11:31 AM.