Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: ProTsc-1911 - Hands On

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Some guy in my club said you had to get a bush from the USA as the UK ones werent good enough, but the one I've seen online are restricted & cant be exported from the US. Any ideas?
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

we played with better bushes but I found that as everything wasnt perfectly aligned, you could end up with some drag on the barrel, this slowed the action down, 2 at my club, mine when I close the action by releasing the slide, it slams forward with a nice thunk, but my mates glides forward and just doesnt give that same feeling of confidence, I always check its fully forward, and its deffo not as reliable as mine
    Don't worry it only seems kinky the first time

Thread size

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Does anyone know the thread size at the end of the Pro TSC barrel ? Thinking of making a carbon fibre mock silencer to get some weight off as I don't like the bare barrel look.
    The thread size is 9mm x 0.75 pitch - fine and unusual - you'll find taps etc online but have a long look round as prices vary a lot. I got a No. 2 tap for £11 including delivery - the delivery was dearer than the tap!!

Bushing

The barrel on the GSG 1911 is fixed (unlike the Colt) by the release lever, screw and pin so it is the position of the sights on the slide that may vary very slightly with a sloppy front bush - if you do the sums then a difference in front sight position of 1/5th mm (8 thou of an inch) will lead to a 50mm (2") dispersion at the 25 metre target (assuming a sight radius of 100 mm for ease of calculation and the front of the slide moving out relative to the back sight so sitting slightly skew on the barrel) - reducing the front bush clearance by 2 thou all round i.e. 4 thou in total possible movement would in theory close up the group to approximately 25mm i.e. reduce by 25mm - if there is indeed any shot-to-shot position change of the slide

So I guess a tighter bushing may make a difference and it may affect the function of the slide. I'll think about it - Looking at measured differences on this thread and some of the groups mentioned here and elsewhere it doesn't seem to move much though!

I did machine a new guide rod in stainless and aluminium and made it full length - and made it fit the guide rod hole in the slide better by using 5mm stainless rod - the result feels much better and I think it has closed down the groups and I'd recommend it as a mod. The original die-cast rod is a bit of a sloppy fit and a bit nasty and it breaks.
    Last edited by quadlock; 08-02-2013 at 11:31 AM.

There is a way of accurising these things with a new bushing without affecting reliability.

The new bushing would be fitted in the usual way, and have minimal play between barrel and bushing. Then the barrel portion behind the bushing should be turned down to taper away from the back of the bushing for 1/2" or so, then turned down parallel to the bore so that the barrel diameter from the taper to the barrel hood is a few thou less than the bushing internal diameter.

Because the barrel is attached to the frame, it will not flop about during the recoil cycle, and the slide will not drag on the barrel. However, when in battery, the close fit bushing will do it's job and improve accuracy greatly.

The other option is to simply fit a dot sight on a frame mounted scope mount. That way the slide to barrel relationship will have no bearing on accuracy.

Pro tsc 1911

Evening heres mine so far:

http://youtu.be/EUAUhNswZjk

Please go easy. Im not a camera man!

Quote Originally Posted by vincishooter View Post
    Evening heres mine so far:

http://youtu.be/EUAUhNswZjk

Please go easy. Im not a camera man!
    Great video, thanks. I have the Ivor johnson 1911 .22LBP from Low Mills, and it is good to actually see the differences and similarities between the two guns, from a shooter's point of view. I must admit, it was mainly that small screw thingy etc which made me decide on the Low Mills model, but your work has done what was needed. Thanks for that.
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson
    N.S.R.A. RCO, Club Instructor, Club Coach.

I still have some of the new orange replacement mag followers that add 4 rounds , pm me if interested.