Thread: Mercury s piston head required

Mercury s piston head required

Hello again everybody a bit of help and advice needed from me today. I have been offered a BSA mercury s in 177 yesterday and I am really interested. The guy at the shop described it as mint but needing a new piston head. He did say he tried ordering one and they are currently out of stock. He wouldn't sell me the gun in it's present condition I had to buy it when it is fully repaired. I really want this gun so I'm prepared to buy the piston head myself and take it to the shop so he can get it sorted for me. Is there more than one type of piston head and if so do I need the serial number from the gun. Or do I need to see which Shape it is to identify the part. Lastly where would I be able to buy the piston head from? The gun shop must know all the usual suppliers so am I going to struggle for this part if he can't find one? All help will be greatly appreciated of course. Thanks, bye

chambers gunspares buddy.
    failing that john knibbs
    atvb
    dean

Hi, There were three types of piston head. Plastic, Alloy and Steel. Think the plastic were standard, at least in standard Mercurys and Airsporters. I fitted an Alloy one to my Mk V Airsporter. The Steel piston heads were I think fitted to export Models only, mainly USA, gave a bit more umph to those sellers who lived in countries not bound by a 12ft/lb limit. It does say in the Golden Century (John Knibbs) p.191, that The S model Airsporter had a steel piston head but I have never seen one with a steel piston head fitted.
    You can get an Alloy one from Chambers for £8.73 plus p&p
    http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdispl...age=5&id=24697
    part no: PW027
    atb
    dogsbody

Hi, put the ally one in and put a deposit on the gun to hold it before someone else does!

for these pearls of wisdom, if you ever decide to sell, can I have first dibs please

atb Max.

mercury

there was one on flee bay
    12g rem 1187 , 20g beretta 686,28g - 410 lincoln combo ,243 rem 700,223 rem 700,17hmr cz, 22rf cz,22rf cz22rf,ruger 1022,CZ 222 ,winchester 12g sx4,bsa super10,hw80 .20

Sorted now

Hello and thanks for your replys. I called into the shop to look at the mercury s and found out it isn't a 177. If anyone is interested in the gun Aaron wheeler gunsmiths in brighouse Leeds have it. They want £150 for it I think but I already have a 22. Pm me if you want a more accurate description. Thanks for the advice, bye