Thread: BSA lever action 1920's?

BSA lever action 1920's?

I'm thinning out my collection, if somebody could give me an idea of the value of a BSA Standard underlever .22 air rifle, believed to be early 1920's, little used, in original condition, with original finish, patent numbers in gold lettering, with BSA peep sight, serial number S39350. This was owned by an uncle who passed away and left it to me.

Hi Gasram, there will be far better than me along who will value your gun but til they arrive all I can suggest to you is that pictures and a detailed description including condition of screw heads,stock,bluing,etching etc. also the number type of locking system on the underlever,sights and any extra bits like maybe plates with owners names or details and possible stampings in the stock for gunmakers who sold it,clubs owned by and just behind the trigger guard maybe a mark as to stock length and trigger tension will help them give you a more accurate valuation
    If you wish to post photos you can either try following this helpful link
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....s-onto-the-BBS.
    or alternatively you could let someone on here host them for you either ask or if you can wait til tomorrow evening I will host them for you on your thread,all you would need to do is email suitable photographs of you gun but due to work I will not be around much until tomorrow evening.
    I hope this information proves helpful to you and best of luck finding out what you wish to know
    Regards Martini
    Last edited by martini1215; 22-05-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Grammar was Horrific
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

I agree with the above advice.

If the patent details and BSA Standard etc markings etched on the cylinder are clear and visible, plus it has peep sight, this rifle could be worth more than £300. But the exact condition will be all important to the value.

If you send the pics to my email address I will happily host them for you.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Here are pics of gasram's BSA. My impression is that two things make it stand out, quite apart from its overall superb orginal blued finish. First it has its cylinder etching very much intact and clear. Second it has a rare transitional stock, which has BSA impressed in the chequering but also has a rounded pistol grip. A few of these turned up some time ago, but I think they're very scarce.

The No 8 peep sight is nice in its own right (and worth £40+ at auction) but it has not been fitted well, so should probably be removed and the stock holes made good.

All in all a lovely piece, worth £300 of anyone's money I would have thought, and probably a fair bit more.

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Pic 4
    Pic 5
    Pic 6
    Pic 7
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hi,

Etching certainly looks to be in very good order and finish is top notch too, other than the marring to some of the screw heads, which stands out even more on such a nice example. Has the top of the stock been cut to accomodate the 6 hole iris and peepsight stem? Can't quite see in the 6th photo.

As to value, depending on whether the top of the stock has been cut to accomodate the sight, anywhere between £300 and £350. A dealer at a fair or a gunshop would no doubt ask for more.

Funny thing is I have a record of S39349 in the serial number index I started a little while ago.

Kind regards,
    John

Congratulations on a rifle of great beauty. The rare transitional stock and peep sight makes it especially desireable. I am not sure if the screws are quite right on the loading tap plate, however screws can easily be changed.

All the transitional stocks seem to be in the 38,000-45,000 serial number range??

Lakey

Wow what a beautiful well looked after gun,I couldn;t wait round til tomorrow to find out what the guys on here had to say so taking a peak during tea break,congratulations on a wonderful piece of history
    ATB Martini
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

The aperture sight is probably an after market fitting and not BSA, who offered sights mounted on top of the pistol grip.
    BSA's with sights in this position are quite awkward to use as the sight obstructs the thumb.
    I actually think it would be more desirable if the sight had never been fitted, and certainly don't think it increases the value?
    If it were mine I would lose the sight and have the stock professionally repaired, because it is probably not original as it stands.
    The values as stated, ie around the £350 I would still however agree with. Probably go for a lot more at auction.