Thread: Benelli Kite opinions

Benelli Kite opinions

I'm looking for a reasonably decent pre-charged 10m pistol. I've been messing about at my club with an old Drulov someone kindly lent me and I'm quite enjoying it.
    I'd prefer to get a good pistol that will last me, without spending a fortune, rather than get something like a Gamo compact to start with only to have to get another pistol later on. After looking around the internet at the various 10m pistols, the Benelli Kite has caught my eye and I quite fancy one.
    I'm wondering if anyone on here has one or has experience of one and can tell me how good they actually are (you can't always believe the advertising claims) specifically the trigger, shot consistancy, build quality and any known weaknesses.
    I admit to not knowing much about 10m pistols but I noticed from the spec's that I'd seen that the foresight on the Benelli is not adjustable for width unlike a lot of the other makes. Is this much of a problem or does it not really matter too much.

I'd appreciate any comments about the Benelli.

Thanks
    Daystate Mk4, Daystate X2 Merlyn, Weihrauch HW77k, Weihrauch HW35E, Benelli Kite

There are a few comments here.

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?p=53896

What sort of cost are you looking at compared with a secondhand Morini, Walther, Feinwerkbau or Steyr? Because I would think all of those four have good service and support within Europe. No idea about the Kite though.

HTH

Mark

Looks like the new price is not far off the cost of some of the well known 10m pistols.

http://www.surreyguns.com/contents/en-uk/p70.html

A bit more buys you a new Morini 162. Or gives you every choice in the second hand market.

HTH

Mark

Thanks Mark

I was kinda hoping to find a secondhand one.
    Thinking that a new Benelli is a bit cheaper than a new Steyr, a used one may be a bit cheaper than a used top-end pistol.
    If I found a secondhand Steyr, FWB or Morini at a good price I would obviously consider them. It's just that after looking at the models available the Benelli Kite really appeals to me. I was hoping someone would have one and could tell me if it would still be worth looking for one or if I should forget about them and go for another make.
    Daystate Mk4, Daystate X2 Merlyn, Weihrauch HW77k, Weihrauch HW35E, Benelli Kite

I have owned a Kite for over a year now, and I am extremely pleased with every aspect of the pistol. Two widths of foresight come with the gun, but I have found that the variable width of backsight is more than enough to obtain your own best sight picture. With 200 metered shots per fill I never have to worry about taking an air bottle to the range, and it has the easiest loading system I know of (no, I'm not on commission from Benelli!). The only problem I have is that I can't blame the gun for poor shots.
    Hope this helps. Dave

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    The only 2nd hand Benelli Kite I've seen has been on the shelf in my rfd for at least 2 years. They're asking the same price as a new one!

Quote Originally Posted by Exfelix View Post
    Hope this helps. Dave
    It certainly does, thanks.
    It's good to know that someone's got one and is happy with it.

Can you confirm that it complies with the current NSRA regulations?
    It's just that I've noticed it's 433mm long and the regulation "box" is only 420 x 200.
    Thought I'd better check before I get one in case they've changed the rules and it's no longer allowed.
    (it occurred to me that may be why they're so rare)

I don't know about the regulations regarding size, as I only shoot in local comps. However, I have seen them used in NSRA comps at Bisley and they are the pistol of choice for the Italian olympic team, so I would doubt that they fall outside the regs. The chap to get in touch with is Peter Friend at Surrey Guns (0208 647 7742) www.surreyguns.com, as he uses them in NSRA comps and, although his shop sells most other makes of 10m pistol, he recommends the Kite.
    atb Dave

I like Feinwerkbau - but I bought a Kite!

Although I am a confirmed Feinwerkbau addict, I recently bought a new Benelli Kite!

The pistol is very impressive, and after being given the chance to test it on our local club 10 meter range I was convinced!

The Nill-Griffe grip was very well made and fitted my hand perfectly, so this was a good start.

The trigger was exceptional - at least as good as my P44 - maybe a shade better!

I tested both the standard length Kite and the shorter (Young version). Both were very good and I would have been pleased with either.

With four different length of cylinders available I was able to adjust the balance of the pistol just by changing the cylinder length. They all cost the same, so it makes no difference to the price whichever combination you choose.

I eventually chose the Young version. Although this can really only use 3 of the air cylinder sizes ( the longest one looking silly by overhanging the barrel by far too much), I bought it with the next longest cylinder as it felt "just right" for me and gives plenty of shots per fill.

My local RFD tells me the Benelli qaulity is amongst the best available, and improved a lot when Berretta took them over as the new owners, so I am hoping the pistol will prove to be as reliable in the long term as my Feinwerkbau's have been - only time will tell.
    Last edited by zooma; 30-05-2011 at 12:27 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Exfelix, Zooma. Thanks guys, you've been very helpfull.

I intend to become a fellow Kite owner myself now.