Thread: airsporter mk 4

airsporter mk 4

Hi.

Have not long gotten hold of a non firing airsporter. and thanks to a stripdown , clean and a new piston assy (courtesy of sevorg off this site , a good guy to do business with by the way) i have got it shooting. it is an absolute dream to fire , solid and very very powerful. the question is , being as i have stripped all of the painted finish that the moron who owned it before the guy who sold it to me had put on. it is now back to bare shiny steel . are the rifles worth enough in mint cond for me to warrant getting it fully re blued and restored ? or being as i love the gun to bits already , do i just cold blue it , find a way of making a scope fit into the shallow grooves and use it as a hunter ? your opinions please gents , and more importantly ladies.

A.T.B

Bob
    showbiz raconteur , after dinner speaker and wealthy socialite.

about above

think i would have to buy a pot of tetra and do it myself, it does a good job and cheap as chips to

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    All the Airsporters are worthy 'springers' in my opinion.
    If you like the rifle and you are prepared to pay the cost of professional re-bluing, why not, if you intend to keep the rifle.
    I recently bought a Mk1 Airsporter, I was told this had been re - blued professionally by Manchester Air Guns, see ; http://www.manchesterairguns.co.uk/
    All I can say is that the blueing is first rate on the rifle, probably better even than the original finish?
    If you are looking to sell it on, you probably will not recover the cost of the re-blueing.
    Give them a ring and find out the cost!

all the best!

Airsporterman

had a mk1 hw97 re blued by M.A.G. what can i say when it comes to metal Colin Molloy is a true genius. He normally charges around £60 . and his work is faultless ! love the gun , i just dont want to go down the same route as the 97. i bought the 97 as a hunter and it was a heap, i decided to do it up . after colin had done his bit with it, it turned out too pretty to trash. ended up selling it to my best mate (who is a serious hunter) to fund another project. seriously this thing shoots better than anything i have ever shot, it needs a purpose . spray up , or re blue ??
    showbiz raconteur , after dinner speaker and wealthy socialite.

Re-blue!

Hi Bob, glad it's shooting so well, must be that exellent piston... Re-blue if it's shooting that good and then hang on to it, they are great guns and one of the best looking in my opinion.

I'd not considered re-blueing mine as it was so low on power before I found the proper piston, and was considering selling it on, but like yours, mine is now shooting a real treat so I think I'l take my own advice and get it done and make it a keeper.

Cheers,

Tom.