Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First gun a black powder revolver - Pietta 1858 Remington

First gun a black powder revolver - Pietta 1858 Remington

Hi all,

I am new to shooting and should be getting my license shortly. I managed to pick up a 1858 Remington .44 by Pietta secondhand which my local dealer should have today.

My first question is does anyone have a Pietta 1858 with a silver trigger guard? I was wondering was this something just done on deluxe models? I picked it up quite cheap so im assuming its just the basic model but would be nice if it turns out to be a better quality version.

Next question is as I am new what would you advise me to get for shooting it and where is the best place to get bits from. Anyone know what size caps these take? and what size ball is best? I intend to get the wonder wads instead of using grease, I notice there is a company called wads incorporated selling cheaper wads than wonder wads that they say give better performance and are cheaper, does anyone have any experience with them?

I am going to use Tripple 7 powder for shooting so shouldnt need any solvents etc for cleaning but what would be a good lube to buy to treat it with after cleaning?

People shooting at the range seem to load the revolvers straight from the powder flask, how do you measure the correct load when your pouring from the flask?

Looking forward to getting it down the range and firing off my first cylinder, hopefully into the target!

does yours have the target sights at the rear or just the groove etc....i use 14.5 gn weighed of 777 and these pistols take the .451 / .454/ .457 ball so try each one and see which one it prefers
    Last edited by loiner1965; 25-05-2011 at 07:28 PM.

The pistol could be the Pietta Remington 1858 competition as these have the silvered trigger guard.
    I have one of these, it needs .463 balls as the chambers are larger than the standard pistol. These also have the gain twist rifleing like the originals!
    The powder flasks have different size spouts. You fill the spout and then pour this into the chamber.
    Daz

It sounds like this one very nice - linky below;

http://www.cgfirearms.co.uk/Detailed...&Arg=Remington

.463 balls - new to me, you live and learn.

You will find over time you will want to experiment with wads, grease, Trex etc. You will find what suits you and the pistol by experience.

You may wish to explore the option of casting your own balls certainly works out cheaper. However may be worth seeing if a mould is available in .463.

DJS do you cast your own balls?

I've shot several NMAs ....... settled on 454 balls for them

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    does yours have the target sights at the rear or just the groove etc....i use 14.5 gn weighed of 777 and these pistols take the .451 / .454/ .457 ball so try each one and see which one it prefers
    Going off the photo I have seen it just has the sight at the front, couldn't tell from the pic whether that was adjustable at all.

That doesnt sound like a lot of 777 compared to what other people seem to use, are you shooting at 25m?

DJS
    The pistol could be the Pietta Remington 1858 competition as these have the silvered trigger guard.
    Thats what Im hoping for but it was only £125 at that model is expensive, would be nice if it turns out to be that. I will have to have a look at the rifling to see if its the progressive (if its easy to tell). Thanks for clearing that up about the powder flasks I see what you mean now, do you buy different spouts for the load then or do you just modify the spout that it comes with?

john paul

It sounds like this one very nice - linky below;

Fingers crossed lol

You may wish to explore the option of casting your own balls certainly works out cheaper. However may be worth seeing if a mould is available in .463.

I have heard a lot of people do this but dont you have to be careful with the fumes from the lead?

Very nice, im hoping that I dont live to regret not getting a stainless version!

harricook
    I've shot several NMAs ....... settled on 454 balls for them
    Roy
    I guess I will just have to experiment with different sizes.

The bad news this morning is the gun didnt get delivered to the dealer yesterday and it was sent special delivery, which is odd because I have never had anything by Special that hasnt turned up next day. Hopefully it will turn up today, the dealer that sold me it is supposed to be sending me the tracking number later.

Which powder flask would you guys recommend? I dont want to splash out for anything fancy just something that will last and do the job.

Cheers, Mark

The gun finally arrived today so I went down to check it out. Looks in good condition, I checked out the proof marks and its marked BI, so made in 1997. I am not sure how else to determine whether it is the competition model but I looked down the barrel at the rifling and it looked quite uniform, im not sure how obvious progressive rifling is though.

They had a pedersoli powder flask with a 15 grain nossle so will probably get that and give it a go. They dont stock the lubed wads so will probably order some wonder wads, probably give the wads incorporated ones a try after. Not sure what size caps to go for, do most people use 11's? They seem to stock all the ball sizes and pretty good prices £14 for 100.

Not sure what size nipple wrench I will need, are they a standard size across all repro Remingtons?

P.S. Sorry my replies are taking so long, they have to be checked by a mod before they post.

i use speer 454 ball and no 10 cap...
    put 14.5 gn weighed 777 with a big wonderwad on top followed by a lubed ball....
    i do not use grease over the top but use too

Quote Originally Posted by Hakeswill View Post
    The gun finally arrived today so I went down to check it out. Looks in good condition, I checked out the proof marks and its marked BI, so made in 1997. I am not sure how else to determine whether it is the competition model but I looked down the barrel at the rifling and it looked quite uniform, im not sure how obvious progressive rifling is though.

They had a pedersoli powder flask with a 15 grain nossle so will probably get that and give it a go. They dont stock the lubed wads so will probably order some wonder wads, probably give the wads incorporated ones a try after. Not sure what size caps to go for, do most people use 11's? They seem to stock all the ball sizes and pretty good prices £14 for 100.

Not sure what size nipple wrench I will need, are they a standard size across all repro Remingtons?

P.S. Sorry my replies are taking so long, they have to be checked by a mod before they post.
    Hellfire !!

My nearest sells cast @ £7/100 and I think that is unbeleivably expensive !!!!

Roy

i use speer 454 ball and no 10 cap...
    put 14.5 gn weighed 777 with a big wonderwad on top followed by a lubed ball....
    i do not use grease over the top but use too
    I will have to see if I can try the 10 caps on to see if they fit. Im going to try and avoid using grease to try and make loading less messy.

Hellfire !!

My nearest sells cast @ £7/100 and I think that is unbeleivably expensive !!!!
    Roy
    lol thats good I dont think they do cast ones, only horandy ones which I saw some places selling for £17-18/100. I guess its not really an option to buy cast ones mail order due to the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakeswill View Post
    I will have to see if I can try the 10 caps on to see if they fit. Im going to try and avoid using grease to try and make loading less messy.

lol thats good I dont think they do cast ones, only horandy ones which I saw some places selling for £17-18/100. I guess its not really an option to buy cast ones mail order due to the weight.
    Do you ever get over this way (Berkshire) - I will cast you some !!!

..... and I make my own wad too !!

If your Pietta is anything like any of the ones I have owned and/or shot - you will be using No 11 caps
    If you get a burred nipple - use a 223/5.56 brass case to hold the nipple (perfect size) while you refettle the end

Roy

roy beat me to it but check your nipples ....ooooh eeer missus and if they are mushroomed then remove and put in a drill and use wet and dry to smooth out....in fact i took mine out this weekend , held them between finger and thumb and reshaped with my dremel....caps fit perfect

roy beat me to it but check your nipples ....ooooh eeer missus and if they are mushroomed then remove and put in a drill and use wet and dry to smooth out....in fact i took mine out this weekend , held them between finger and thumb and reshaped with my dremel....caps fit perfect
    Easy tiger !!!!

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Do you ever get over this way (Berkshire) - I will cast you some !!!

..... and I make my own wad too !!

If your Pietta is anything like any of the ones I have owned and/or shot - you will be using No 11 caps
    If you get a burred nipple - use a 223/5.56 brass case to hold the nipple (perfect size) while you refettle the end

Roy
    Thanks for the offer but unfortunately I dont really go down your way.

I will check the nipples over when I get it, I didnt think of that, does that happen to the nipples often?