Thread: webley service cases

webley service cases

What were Webley service air rifles originally supplied in metal or wooden boxes/cases?
    thanks in advance
    Graham

I've seen a few sold with original cardboard boxes, Graham.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I've seen a few sold with original cardboard boxes, Graham.
    thanks for your reply,so if webley service rifles came in cardboard boxes what rifle with extra barrels would have been supplied in metal cases? thanks again Graham

Hi Grez

I always thought they came in wooden cases with compartments for oil, pellets, barrels etc, it could be that these wooden cases were aftermarket or optional extras

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

The rifle with a single barrel was sold in a cardboard box with a strip of card separating the barrel from the action, as shown on pages 35, 37 and 41 of Chris Thrale's book, Webley Air Rifles.
    One such box is also shown in my sig. site.
    Various options were offered by Webley for additional cases, the most basic being a canvas slip case with a separate pocket for the barrel, also shown on page 37 of Chris's book, and again in my sig. site.
    A canvas covered compartmentalised wooden case was offered in several guises, according to what the customer could afford.
    Leather cases were also available to accept the rifle and multiple barrels, but not all were sold by Webley, therefore not all have an original Webley label affixed.
    One labelled example is shown in my sig. site.
    Perfectly acceptable cases for the 'Service' can be fashioned from old shotgun cases, with the deeper models being capable of holding 3 barrels plus the action, along with oil, pellets and cleaning rods.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    The rifle with a single barrel was sold in a cardboard box with a strip of card separating the barrel from the action, as shown on pages 35, 37 and 41 of Chris Thrale's book, Webley Air Rifles.
    One such box is also shown in my sig. site.
    Various options were offered by Webley for additional cases, the most basic being a canvas slip case with a separate pocket for the barrel, also shown on page 37 of Chris's book, and again in my sig. site.
    A canvas covered compartmentalised wooden case was offered in several guises, according to what the customer could afford.
    Leather cases were also available to accept the rifle and multiple barrels, but not all were sold by Webley, therefore not all have an original Webley label affixed.
    One labelled example is shown in my sig. site.
    Perfectly acceptable cases for the 'Service' can be fashioned from old shotgun cases, with the deeper models being capable of holding 3 barrels plus the action, along with oil, pellets and cleaning rods.
    many thanks for your reply,so if I were to be offered a three barreled model in a tin that has webley embossed on the lid it may be just a variation on the usual packaging and still a desirable item, just as a final queery what would be a reasonable price be to pay for such an item? prices seem to vary and I wouldn't want to be left high and dry or for that matter leave the seller dissapointed
    atb Graham

Impossible to give a price as I've never heard of such an item being issued by Webley.
    The three barrelled Service on it's own could be worth anything from £750 - £1k, depending on condition and whether all barrels are numbered to the action.
    Pictures could help.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Impossible to give a price as I've never heard of such an item being issued by Webley.
    The three barrelled Service on it's own could be worth anything from £750 - £1k, depending on condition and whether all barrels are numbered to the action.
    Pictures could help.
    thanks for your time, I will send you some pics of this rifle in its box if the deal comes off
    atb Graham

Pictures prior to the deal would help in valuation.