Thread: Going rates for BSA Imp Model D and Club Special

Going rates for BSA Imp Model D and Club Special

Having recently had my interest sparked in oldie airguns I will be keeping my eyes open for either a:

BSA Improved Model D .22;

or a BSA Club Special .177 (No.4, 45 inch).......

Looking on the t'interweb, prices seem to vary wildly.......

What do the learned gentlefolk in this fine section feel is the current 'sensible' going rate for tidy examples of the above? (Leaving to one side the 'things are worth what people are willing to pay for it' aspect....).

Are there specific variations on the above models that will significantly affect the asking price? As this is me just dipping my toe in, my main interest is in acquiring a nice tidy shooting example - I'm not looking to pay top dollar for a variaition for rarity sake alone, if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice given! I posted a question a month or so again that has lead me to narrow my search for the above rifles, and I got quite a few really useful and interesting replies, so thanks again to those who posted on that thread - fonts of knowledge that really helped someone like me who knows next to nothing on the subject!

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ssic-air-rifle

All the best,

Tim

Last I heard 'Mowerman' was thinking of selling his CS at around the £200 mark. Very nice example if I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
    Having recently had my interest sparked in oldie airguns I will be keeping my eyes open for either a:

BSA Improved Model D .22;

or a BSA Club Special .177 (No.4, 45 inch).......

Looking on the t'interweb, prices seem to vary wildly.......

What do the learned gentlefolk in this fine section feel is the current 'sensible' going rate for tidy examples of the above? (Leaving to one side the 'things are worth what people are willing to pay for it' aspect....).

Are there specific variations on the above models that will significantly affect the asking price? As this is me just dipping my toe in, my main interest is in acquiring a nice tidy shooting example - I'm not looking to pay top dollar for a variaition for rarity sake alone, if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice given! I posted a question a month or so again that has lead me to narrow my search for the above rifles, and I got quite a few really useful and interesting replies, so thanks again to those who posted on that thread - fonts of knowledge that really helped someone like me who knows next to nothing on the subject!

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ssic-air-rifle

All the best,

Tim
    Tim on a point of information, the full length 45.5in version of the Standard, the CS is not a no.4, it's a "Club no.1" The No.1 was basically the same as a .22 Standard but with a .177 barrel and the extra "C" prefix was added to the trigger block.

When the "No.4 Club Standard" (not "Special") was introduced in 1930, the length was reduced to 43.5in.

As for prices, perhaps around £200 to £250 for a decent example of either rifle is what you should be prepared to pay, although you might find one for less.

Yes, some models are more desirable than others, although a lot is down to personal taste. For instance, among other variations, a "Sporting" pattern mod D (45in approx) is likely to command a higher price than the shorter versions, those with peep sights of any kind are worth more than those without. Some people might pay more for a straight hand stock than a pistol grip stock because they are scarcer.

More significant to price than any of the above variations is condition, with really excellent examples of vintage BSAs commanding a premium that can run into hundreds of pounds.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Tim on a point of information, the full length 45.5in version of the Standard, the CS is not a no.4, it's a "Club no.1" The No.1 was basically the same as a .22 Standard but with a .177 barrel and the extra "C" prefix was added to the trigger block.

When the "No.4 Club Standard" (not "Special") was introduced in 1930, the length was reduced to 43.5in.

As for prices, perhaps around £200 to £250 for a decent example of either rifle is what you should be prepared to pay, although you might find one for less.

Yes, some models are more desirable than others, although a lot is down to personal taste. For instance, among other variations, a "Sporting" pattern mod D (45in approx) is likely to command a higher price than the shorter versions, those with peep sights of any kind are worth more than those without. Some people might pay more for a straight hand stock than a pistol grip stock because they are scarcer.

More significant to price than any of the above variations is condition, with really excellent examples of vintage BSAs commanding a premium that can run into hundreds of pounds.
    Thanks for the reply and the correction! That's a good start , I can't even get my question right! It may seem a bit bizarre starting out with such a specific couple of wants, but knowing me i'd have just jumped at the first old bsa i saw, so i'm trying to be a bit more disciplined for once.

Were the peep sights all after market add ons or were they also factory fitted? What sort of premium do they tend to attract?

Thanks again,
    Tim

Tim,

Most of the peep sights were factory fitted, either ordered with the gun or fitted later by the factory when the gun was returned to BSA by the gunshop. The No.12 aperture sight was fitted to the metal trigger block by the factory as an optional extra, and if you opted for one later you could then resell your plain triggerblock back to the factory.

Other different models of sight were let into the wooden stock, and some could be purchased on their own for a wide variety of different guns and fitted at home, included in this last group is the No.8 aperture.

Check out the Vintage BSA forum (network54) for some more "indepth" info.

All the best

Lakey

Thanks Lakey, I'll take a look.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Lakey,

Just a thought...When previous owner's sent the back block off their own rifles to have,or exchange one for with a Number 12 Sight Fitted..Did BSA ..re-number the back block with their own old serial number...I bet they did not..that throw's a spanner in the works from the point of view of dating a particular Rifle!!!!Think about it...

Regard's

Inproved...Steve...

Hi Tim..

I do know of several 43.1/2" Club No 4's if the guy decides to sell one I will let you know..Good Hunting....!!!!..You have picked the best one's to kick a BSA collection off...

Regard'S

Inproved

Quote Originally Posted by inproved View Post
    Hi Tim..

I do know of several 43.1/2" Club No 4's if the guy decides to sell one I will let you know..Good Hunting....!!!!..You have picked the best one's to kick a BSA collection off...

Regard'S

Inproved
    Cheers Steve.. I'll be keeping my eye's open. Thanks to all again for the advice and info, it's much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Just a thought if you want a better idea of the BSA early Models a good starting point for general information,would be a copy of Hillers Air Rifles Fourth Edition...A good Reference Bible...

Regard's

Inproved....Steve.....

Quote Originally Posted by inproved View Post
    Hi Tim,

Just a thought if you want a better idea of the BSA early Models a good starting point for general information,would be a copy of Hillers Air Rifles Fourth Edition...A good Reference Bible...

Regard's

Inproved....Steve.....
    Cheers Steve, funny you should say that as I've just reacquainted myself with a copy - it's where I got the confusion about the Club Standard/Special from (that Garvin pointed out) in my opening post! But yes, it is a useful starting point.

Hopefully, if I'm left to my own devices, I'll take a good look at the Vintage BSA site Lakey directed me towards.....

I smell a cash sapping new interest coming on........ At least I may fob off new additions as an 'investment' (regardless as to whether they are or not!) to the other half!

Cheers,

Tim
    Last edited by TRS1; 31-05-2011 at 09:45 PM. Reason: shoddy spelling

Quote Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
    .... At least I may fob off new additions as an 'investment' (regardless as to whether they are or not!) to the other half!
    Yep, you're picking this up nicely.....

We'll make a collector of you yet!
    TX200 collector, ex - BFTO member and vintage BSA rifle anorak!
    Get yourself something useful.....
    HERE!