Thread: Webley mk1 question.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Webley mk1 question.

I have picked up a rough Webley mk1 pistol with a few problems. Does anyone know whether the barrel catch is the same for the junior and the mk1? I dont have a parts list and Chambers dont list any junior spares.
    Secondly, the bracket on the barrel has a piece broken off. The linkage is missing. I believe this was the same on the mk1 and junior? Have any of you welder types had any luck repairing these? I suspect that there may be problems with it going hard/brittle with it being such a small thing? Thanks chaps
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

hi guy,i have looked at my mk ones,a pre war straight wooden grip model ,pre war and post war slant grip models and the barrel catch is narrower than the one on my post war junior..the cocking link looks the same on all of them.cant help on the barrel bracket but i am sure there must be a good tig welder on this forum somewhere..cheers..greasemonkey
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

The linkage is fairly easy to make, if you have a milling machine handy. Obviously, you don't, or you would not be asking the question. Still faily easy if you can be patient and file one. Are they not available from the likes of Chambers?

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro-Express View Post
    The linkage is fairly easy to make, if you have a milling machine handy. Obviously, you don't, or you would not be asking the question. Still faily easy if you can be patient and file one. Are they not available from the likes of Chambers?
    I think I have the linkage off a mk2 junior. Getting the barrel bracket repaired is the problem for now. As usual with most of the stuff I get the various bit wrong or broken with the gun makes it not really viable to get bits from Chambers. This example has a broken barrel catch,broken grips,broken bracket on barrel and missing linkage. got an early original 5 that is in rough condition and will probably get broken for spares (which is something I dont normally do) as everything is rusty and the piston is seized in the cylinder.
    Last edited by ggggr; 02-06-2011 at 01:33 PM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Barrel catch Mk1

I have a Mk1 and a Junior of the 50's, the latter bought to provide hopefully a catch for the Mk1No such joy, and I will have the Mk1 catch welded up and grind / file it back to shape.
    One of the side protusions or sliders broke partly, allowing play, so it does not push the barrel all the way home. Good luck with your project, regards, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    I think I have the linkage off a mk2 junior. Getting the barrel bracket repaired id the problem for now. As usual with most of the stuff I get the various bit wrong or broken with the gun makes it not really viable to get bits from Chambers. This example has a broken barrel catch,broken grips,broken bracket on barrel and missing linkage. got an early original 5 that is in rough condition and will probably get broken for spares (which is something I dont normally do) as everything is rusty and the piston is seized in the cylinder.
    Soak the gun in a tub of molasses for a month. I guarantee it will come apart.

I saw it done to a Land Rover Series One engine which had stood exposed for 30 years on a Derbyshire hillside with no manifolds fitted. Pistons/rings were seized solid. Three months later it was running......same pistons!!