Thread: Airsporter or Mercury?

Airsporter or Mercury?

having owned a Mercury many years ago, and unable to find a sensible priced good condition example, is an Airporter more or less accurate (with the right pellet)?

I have heard that the Airsporter loading tap is an area of inefficiency and power loss compared with the Mercury, but, the Mercury can have problems with barrel lock up with wear on the hinge pin and breech seal. Im not looking for ultimate power but reliable consistent accuracy.

thoughts and comments welcome.

airsporter or mercury

T.B.H , I don`t think there is too much to choose between the two, as long as you have a good one you have a good one.

Pete.

Personal preference

Having shot both models together a couple of weeks ago you can't go wrong with either. My mercury s shoots lovely and and belies it's age. My friends airsporter s I shot on the same day was also a pleasure to shoot as well. With guns over 25 years old there's good examples and grotty ones as well. Choose wisely and you should buy a nice piece of nostalgia. Check out the BSA supersport as well, these are nice full power guns with easy spares availability. Plenty around too!

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Have to concur with the above posts, it's really down to preference!
    I would have thought you would pick up either if you wait long enough!

atb
    Airsporterman

Never owned an Airsporter until now so I,v just bought myself one to rebuild (bought in kit form) Having owned a fair few Mercury,s "my present one .22 was bought from Oldbull John off this forum" & I have to say as with all Johns stuff it is a real cracker & shoots sweet as a nut The Airsporter I,v bought will have a lot to live upto so lets see

Surrey Airgun Services had a nice Mercury for £90 at Bisley.
    I see that on their website they have several.
    Might be worth a trip.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Mercury or if you can find one a Challenger or if you want to go the Airsporter route an RB2 would be a better choice.

Cheers

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in