Thread: Advice on where to locate a BP storage box

Advice on where to locate a BP storage box

As the title says I could do with some advice on where to place a BP storage box, according to Surrey it has to be in the house and attached to a wall or something with a security cable through the hasp. Also any advice on wall fixing and cables would be much appreciated.
    FEO did mention the loft as long as it has a lock on the door or in any locked location.

Mine is in the loft with a chain around a timber support

Been inspected twice (Thames Valley NOT Surrey though ...)

Dads is the same set-up - he is West Sussex area

Roy

Hi.
    The rules on this vary from area to area.
    Mine is fastened to the skirting board with a small eye and a lock and chain.
    (When this first came in we were told not to lock them up, so in case of fire we could chuck them out of the window).
    Some FEO's in the same department tell us not to lock them up!
    The objective is to stop someone picking up the box and taking it away, so we are told.
    Some FEO's tell us to lock them others do not. Some say store in the loft, some say do not store them up there!
    (We need this rule clarifying to stop the confusion).

The critera that is stipulated though is that it must be away from an entrance/exit in case of a fire, and out of sight.
    ie. Do not put it in an upstairs cupboard over the stairs or an entrance/exit doorway.
    A shed or garage is a definite no. (Around here anyway).

Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Mine is in the loft with a chain around a timber support

Been inspected twice (Thames Valley NOT Surrey though ...)

Dads is the same set-up - he is West Sussex area

Roy
    Roy, I do like the idea of putting it in the loft, just a bit concerned about the heat during the summer and moisture during the winter as BP is hydroscopic (hope that's right ).

Quote Originally Posted by lasbrisas View Post
    Roy, I do like the idea of putting it in the loft, just a bit concerned about the heat during the summer and moisture during the winter as BP is hydroscopic (hope that's right ).
    Think you are looking for a problem that isn't there

Mine has been in the loft since 1997 in this house - thats 14 years by my reckoning. (used to be in the loft in the previous house too - about 5 years)

I shoot BP rifle and BP pistol (NMA then ROA) - my top hat rifle caps & pistol caps are also kept in the loft

I have not noticed any difference/degredation in the powder .. you could ask the other guys I beat at the BP pistol shoot two weeks back if the think my powder is iffy

Roy

Last edited by harricook; 02-06-2011 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Think you are looking for a problem that isn't there

Mine has been in the loft since 1997 in this house - thats 14 years by my reckoning. (used to be in the loft in the previous house too - about 5 years)

I shoot BP rifle and BP pistol (NMA then ROA) - my top hat rifle caps & pistol caps are also kept in the loft

I have not noticed any difference/degredation in the powder .. you could ask the other guys I beat at the BP pistol shoot two weeks back if the think my powder is iffy

Roy

Sounds like a plan then, I could put a cable through the hasp and round a joist.

How things change. When I first had mine 30 years ago the rules were:-

1) Wooden box painted white with "Explosives" in large red letters.

2) Box to be kept locked but NOT secured to a wall or any other structure.

3) Box to be kept in a nominated room prominently on view.

The reasoning was that if you had a fire, the Brigade knew exactly where it was and Fireman Sam would rush in, grab it and chuck it out of the window.

Quote Originally Posted by markH View Post
    How things change. When I first had mine 30 years ago the rules were:-

1) Wooden box painted white with "Explosives" in large red letters.

2) Box to be kept locked but NOT secured to a wall or any other structure.

3) Box to be kept in a nominated room prominently on view.

The reasoning was that if you had a fire, the Brigade knew exactly where it was and Fireman Sam would rush in, grab it and chuck it out of the window.
    I think your last quote still seems logical so you could get rid of it quickly.