Thread: Rimfire bullet traps

Rimfire bullet traps

Hi,
    Wondering about rimfire bullet traps, where do clubs buy these from, or do they weld up thier own ?
    Cheers
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?c...0BULLET%20TRAP

This is what I use. Makes a bit of a noise when hit (obviously) but is a safe way to target shoot. Bought it in the mid 90's when I was in The Sportsmans and regard it as one of my better purchases.

Most clubs use steel plate, either vertical or angled, with a sheet of linatex in front to stop shrapnel. Given that clubs come in all shapes - 2/4/6/8 lanes, prone, 3P, etc, etc - the backstops tend to be a custom fit.
    You have to remember that a bullet catcher like that is not much use in itself as ranges need "all round" protection. That catcher is fine for accurate shooters, or as a target holder on an open longer distance range, but a novice may well end up shooting the wall around it, which will need protection in and of itself (to protect the fabric of the building), and also anti-ricochet measures.

Most clubs just steel plate the entire target wall, hang a curtain of linatex a couple of inches in front, and put their target framework in front of that.

In some club situations, if you were setting up a range at home, or for hunters to use for zeroing it is ideal.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Hi,
    Thank you for the info. Any idea what thickness steel would you consider appropriate for .22 lr, .22 short and gallery rounds.
    Cheers

for angled plates I think ours are about 1cm think (from memory)

does the NSRA not have some guide book on this in their shop?

that is an angled plate though.

.22 rounds can easily puncture steel plates over a long enough usage, with rounds impacting on the same spot.

Thank you ! I will see about the guidebook