Thread: 100 yrd 22

100 yrd 22

Hi New to this board so hello evryone, I am shooting 100 yrd 22 this coming weekend and I was looking for some tips, I usually shoot LSR over 25yrd so this is new teritory for me thanx Argon.

I am guessing you are firing .22 rimfire?, some helpful hints might be,follow through with each shot and dont rush them, pay attention to wind flags as there is far more space between muzzle and target for the bullet to be affected, pay attention to whoever is taking you as they will have very good pointers which will be relevant on the day, ammo quality hence price is more relevant at longer smallbore ranges ( I use Eley Team or Match and get reasonable results), I aren't sure if its because of the lack of movement in the horizontal plane but I find shooting at 100 yards far easier than I do for 25 or 50 yards,with the weather as we have had the past few days you might also experience the effects of haze(mirage) obscuring your target when scoping your shot holes and also affecting the target picture whilst aiming,
    I hope this is of some help to you and you have a great day
    ATB Martini
    Sorry rto welcome you to BBS I just noticed it was your first thread
    Last edited by martini1215; 03-06-2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Greetings and good manners I didnt use
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

Good advice already given, but here are a few more suggestions:

1) Adjust the rearsight (roughly) for the distance before you start. Shooting at 100 yards with a rifle zeroed at 25 yards, the shots will hit about 8in low of centre. This is enough to miss the sighter completely and to clip the top of the upper scoring target. It usually takes several shots for the poor unfortunate who's done it to realise.

You need to turn the rearsight about 8 minutes UP from your 25 yard zero; this equates to about 50 clicks anti-clockwise with an older Anschutz, or 100 clicks anti-clockwise with a newer anschutz.

2) Take your time over your sighters. The sights won't be properly zeroed for distance or elevation, so allow more shots than you would normally (at least 10, plus a few extra). You need to know where your group is, and how large it is (it will be much larger than at 25 yards - probably 1in or larger). Fire three or four shots (all carefully of course), and then count the rings between the group centre and the target centre. For an older Anschutz rearsight, turn the turrets 4 clicks per ring (vertical and horizontal). Don't apply one click at a time, this is just too small and will be lost within the spread of the group, and your aiming error.

This should see you reasonably well centred (fingers crossed). Fire another couple of sighters, and make further adjustments as needed.

3) If your spotting scope isn't very good, try to borrow a posher one from somebody. If the weather is warm and very sunny, it can be hard to see your shots on the target. Quality glass helps here.

4) Make sure that your position is good, and that the rifle points naturally at the target, BEFORE you load your first shot. Getting your position aligned with the target will make it less tiring and easier to shoot well. It's also not a good idea to try a new rifle, sling, or jacket on the day!

5) Take lots of water with you. It may be hot this weekend, and dehydration (even slightly) will degrade your vision.

p.s. Good luck, and enjoy yourself.

Something came back to me at the range today,,it may be a good idea to take some lengths of wallpaper with you if you have the odd old roll and you could pre cut it to about 4 foot lengths to use as a backer behind your cards, it will be far easier to see shot holes at 100 yards even with a good quality scope if your backers are in good condition and not shot away
    have fun ATB Martini
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

100 yrd 22

Thanx for the replies and advice I shall try and remember them on the day many thanx Argon.

Yes, make sure you know your elevation changes. On the NSRA 100yd targets, a 25yd zero will put shots aimed at the sighter down in the scoring area, earning a big fat zero
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

And can you let us know how you did and how enjoyable you found it please?

100yrd 22

Hi Everyone
    Had a great day shooting at 100yrd, wind was a big factor but managed to group quite well definetly try it again. Argon