Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New pistol owner/shooter

New pistol owner/shooter

Well I have finally plumped for it and bought a pistol to keep me occupied whilst I am not getting a chance to shoot HFT. I picked up a secondhand Daisy Powerline 717 from a local dealer at a price I was happy with If the date the box was made is anything to go by it is a mid 2004 model and seems in very good condition.

I will have to join the UBC and enter some postal competitions once I have had a bit of practice.

Has anyone ever shot pistol HFT with one of these? If so did you use roundhead pellets and what make/type?

Regards

Richard.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Looking forward to seeing you over on UBC Richard!

Yes I have, yes I did, they were JSB's, simply because they were what I had, and I was very bad at it.

To be fair I hadn't practised, didn't know what my aim points were, and was too busy having a laugh round the course to notice my score.
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by delta1 View Post
    To be fair I hadn't practised, didn't know what my aim points were, and was too busy having a laugh round the course to notice my score.

Nowt new there then!

Cheers.

Roy. (Professional Badger Baiter!)
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Nicely done and like Ian says head over to UBC as well for some competitions.

Looks like I will.....

.......have to learn to shoot right handed or make up some left handed grips as the plastic grips are right handed.

Do any of the UBC members know how you measure the 6 and 10 metres competition distances; is it from where your feet are or where the pistol is?

Thanks

Rich.

I have a 747 that has a Lothar barrel

The guns average 2.5fpe so I'd suggest something with a bit more power for HFT

They were very popular with Silhouete air pistol in the States with metallic animals up to 18 yards.

Feels and looks like a brick, nose heavy but accurate and dependable. My Daisy 747 is the longest serving pistol in the collection. I bought it from the USA when the exchange rate was 2:1!

Best pellet I found are Superdomes.

Cheers
    Ian
    http://www.dukinfieldagc.org.uk/
    Dukinfield Air Gun Club
    Stockfield Mill, Chadderton, OL9 9EW

The 717 is a very accurate target pistol and mine was happy with Gecos at 6 yards and 10 metres.
    It is also quiet for the garden.
    It might struggle powerwise at HFT.
    Still a good one to have.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    .......have to learn to shoot right handed or make up some left handed grips as the plastic grips are right handed.

Do any of the UBC members know how you measure the 6 and 10 metres competition distances; is it from where your feet are or where the pistol is?

Thanks

Rich.
    The target distance is from the shooting line to the target line, the shooter may not step over the shooting line.
    If you have 18 foot arms we'll be expecting a perfect score
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

I think....

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    The target distance is from the shooting line to the target line, the shooter may not step over the shooting line.
    If you have 18 foot arms we'll be expecting a perfect score
    ATB,
    Nick
    ...I will fit a 15 foot barrel
    ATB Rich.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Good Man!
    You'll fit in very well
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Oh bother, my garage....

....is not 18 foot long Still it will be good enough for practice but I will have to do competition shoots elsewhere.

Rich

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Thanks

Rich.
    Left-handed grips are commercially available. My 747 had left-handed grips. Then I sent the pistol back to the Daisy factory in Arkansas. Months later, they sent me back another pistol, sighted differently, with right-handed grips attached!

When I complained that they'd sent me the wrong pistol, the "explanation" I received was that "depending on the nature of the repairs, they probably decided to substitute another pistol." Translated: their own repairmen don't know how to fix their own product, and the thought never occurred to them that maybe I wanted the same pistol back, or that the fact that mine bore left-handed grips meant that I don't want right-handed ones!

They promised to send me a set of left-handed grips.

I hope things are better in the UK, but this is the current state of affairs in the US. No one knows how to fix anything. It took months to get a writwatch repaired recently, and I had to show the repairman how to set the time on it!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim.....

.....that sounds like a bit of a pain in the ars* however it is reassuring to know that its not just our country going to the wall

I hope you get your original pistol and grips back. If you do and it is not fixed there are plenty of strip down guides on the www so try fixing it yourself.

I have a bit of hardwood knocking around that should do the job for left handed grips if I take my time and shape it well.

ATB Rich

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    .....that sounds like a bit of a pain in the ars* however it is reassuring to know that its not just our country going to the wall

I hope you get your original pistol and grips back. If you do and it is not fixed there are plenty of strip down guides on the www so try fixing it yourself.

I have a bit of hardwood knocking around that should do the job for left handed grips if I take my time and shape it well.

ATB Rich
    That will probably be a worthwhile and fun project, Rich.

Yes, unfortunately, the whole business ethic in this country seems to have changed for the worse. No one knows how to repair anything, no one knows anything about what they sell, no one cares.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone