Thread: Damage in end of Innova barrel

Damage in end of Innova barrel

Dear all

I recently purchased an Innova with the tip of the barrel hacksawed off

I have had the end squared up in a lathe and have recrowned the barrel with the autosol, brass screw and slow drill method.

Having done all this I have now noticed that between about 10 to 14 mm down the end of the barrel exit end there are marks which suggest that someone has screwed a wood screw into the barrel some people eh????

The marks have damaged the rifling a bit but not very deeply.

There are small burrs basically.

What can be done please?

Thanks
    Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thumbs up omg

hope this was a cheapie, i would test for accuracy and if it was ok leave it alone, otherwise i would just try and smooth it down with some cutting paste ..but not easy,,
    otherwise i have an innova coming in as spare parts in 3 weeks and if the barrel is ok, you can have that one, ....

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post

What can be done please?

Thanks
    Matty
    Try following the above post Matty. As stated, not a great deal to be done with it, if it shots reasonably well then just call it quits.
    Or shorten the barrel even further, and end up with an 'Ultra carbine' of sorts!
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

Matt, for starters, if you had the barrel on a lathe you should ideally have chamfered the bore on the lathe, not with the brass screw method, which is dubious at best. Anyway.

If the gun shoots fine let it be. If there are serious problems apparent (not necessarily) you could consider counterboring the end of the barrel so that externally the length is preserved but the bad bit is removed.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Thanks All

I did think about doing the recrowning on the lathe but only after I had got home from collecting the barrel from the guy with the lathe who lives 10 miles away

So I went with the (I was told) tried and trusted screw-head method...

I will reasemble and shoot some groups and see what happens.

Cheers
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by tradingnow2010 View Post
    hope this was a cheapie, i would test for accuracy and if it was ok leave it alone, otherwise i would just try and smooth it down with some cutting paste ..but not easy,,
    otherwise i have an innova coming in as spare parts in 3 weeks and if the barrel is ok, you can have that one, ....
    Thanks Muchly

I'll let you know

Cheers

Another option if the accuracy has been affected is to put it back on the lathe and counterbore the muzzle far enough to remove the damaged area.
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

Well I reinstalled the barrel in the breech block and reasembled the gun.

After adjusting it down from an initial rather high level to 11.5 Ft Lb (only took 8 attempts LOL) I shot some groups.

I zeroed in at 10 yard with the original open sights and then shot 1/2 inch groups at 10 yards with H&N FTT 5.52 resting against a door frame for steadiness.

So it seems that the minor damage in the final inch of the barrel is not affecting things which is a relief.

It also appears that my home DIY re-crowning is working perfectly I did use a 4x magnifying glass to check it during the work etc. and i took my time...

So I am now the happy owner of another fully operational Innova :0)

Just waiting for a silencer to arrive for it that I bought off Charles44 yesterday

It's a bit loud at the moment...

Hi mate

Your PM Inbox is full

I would like the Innova barrel you mentioned if it would be available to me, as I have another Innova I have purchased with the barrel missing completely

Did that Ally Adaptor arrive yet?

Cheers
    Matty

Hi matt

yeah sure mate barrel is yours... love to know where your getting all these innovas..lol

yeah sure mate barrel is yours... love to know where your getting all these innovas..lol
    Thanks mate

PM me with details please.

Cheers