Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Polishing to Bare Steel

Every minute polishing something is a minute spent not using it

Low to zero maintenance finishes for me every time.....

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by rgc_swanseaARC View Post
    Each to their own, some like the finish. i'm sure some will find your comments offensive to the regard in their skill in metal work. As you will know from reading and commenting on my for sale ad, the work to mine was indeed carried out by a skilled person. as commented i have had mine for over 2 years and used it in the field and not had the slightest problem. As to the incinuations of being a chump/sucker for doing so, either someone has either p***ed in your frosties this morning, or you are one of those, my way is the only way types with a no tolerance attitude for others. If you cared to even enquire into my chump/sucker status you will more than likely find me a pleasant approachable type who just wished to have their rifle a little different from the norm and is more thank likely more qualified in many respects be it educational/weapons familiarity than others.

ATB

Rhys
    Hey Rhys,
    If someone asked me to polish a rifle and was daft enough to resist my attempts to persuade them that the idea was daft then I'd do the job well rather than send them to someone who would do the job less than well.
    You are obviously unaware that blueing doesn't rust proof a gun, it does however hold oil and make it harder for rust to take hold, if you want to fully strip a gun every time it gets wet bare steel might be for you though!
    Nothing I've said relates to anyone's skill in metalwork, the wisdom of the customer perhaps
    Yes, I think you've ruined a prefetly good rifle, on the bright side Colin Malloy at Manchester airguns could fix it.
    I'm sure you're a nice guy, but I'm also sure you've devalued a perfectly good gun and reduced it's serviceable life/increased the level of work to keep it tidy.
    I'm a big fan of the non standard, but I also think you've comissioned a lemon,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

yer.........well..yer...I knew that...just making sure you know

Good luck, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    HW45s are Aluminium Alloy

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    yer.........well..yer...I knew that...just making sure you know

Good luck, Phil
    Go stick a magnet on it

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Hutchinson View Post
    Every minute polishing something is a minute spent not using it

Low to zero maintenance finishes for me every time.....
    Ian,
    there are circumstances wher polishing it is using it!

Nick

I've not picked up on any crappy spelling either - I'm too tired after the Redhill Revolvers Gala ;-)

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    Hey Rhys,
    If someone asked me to polish a rifle and was daft enough to resist my attempts to persuade them that the idea was daft then I'd do the job well rather than send them to someone who would do the job less than well.
    You are obviously unaware that blueing doesn't rust proof a gun, it does however hold oil and make it harder for rust to take hold, if you want to fully strip a gun every time it gets wet bare steel might be for you though!
    Nothing I've said relates to anyone's skill in metalwork, the wisdom of the customer perhaps
    Yes, I think you've ruined a prefetly good rifle, on the bright side Colin Malloy at Manchester airguns could fix it.
    I'm sure you're a nice guy, but I'm also sure you've devalued a perfectly good gun and reduced it's serviceable life/increased the level of work to keep it tidy.
    I'm a big fan of the non standard, but I also think you've comissioned a lemon,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Thank you for your valued thoughts. I think I will keep it in it's fixed state... Try one, you might like it??
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

Quote Originally Posted by rgc_swanseaARC View Post
    Thank you for your valued thoughts. I think I will keep it in it's fixed state... Try one, you might like it??
    Not for me thanks,
    I like good blueing and for bright finishes proper decorative chrome plating or nickel plating,
    Regards,
    Nick

i polished a dragon barrel due to it been bonded into the breech and didnt want to
    have the hassle removing to blue ..

so i highly polished with a qualitiy car polish that left a protective coat , never had a problem with rust as long as i polished it again now and then .
    even added the odd coat of carnuba wax ..

I had a 1377c before the UBC started which I polished and just wiped with a silicone cloth after use...it never rusted!

Cool,
    So polished steel, wiped with a silicone cloth (at least the bits the cloth can get to) won't rust.
    How's it look now?

A few years ago I polished up an old buccaneer I picked up cheap.

I originally intended to get it blued in the fullness of time but when it came down to it the actual economics of a blue against the cost of the original gun did not make any sense, an "added/ recovered value" wasn't in my equation as I hope never to sell it, however in a purely functional evaluation I was quite concerned about potential rusting too and even considered the "bodgers best friend" paint!

Some years later though and it looks just as when first polished - it was finished with Autosol and it just receives an oily rub after use same as any other.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/S6302086.jpg

Proper finishes are considered "proper" for a reason because they are functional but modern coatings are pretty good too - if this were a poll I'd wager polishing would not win as the "best way to finish steel" but each to their own and according to their desire I guess

Cool,
    So polished steel, wiped with a silicone cloth (at least the bits the cloth can get to) won't rust.
    How's it look now?
    not seen it since i sold it.....correct me if i'm wrong but isn't blueing a form of rust?

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    not seen it since i sold it.....correct me if i'm wrong but isn't blueing a form of rust?
    Yes,
    kind of, blueing is a stable oxide layer which helps to stop rust and holds oil nicely to further reduce corrosion.

Yes,
    kind of, blueing is a stable oxide layer which helps to stop rust and holds oil nicely to further reduce corrosion.
    i must admit i like the colin malloy or shaun at ISP blueing.....seen a hw98 chemically blacked and that looked stunning but the polishing was absolutely amazing, looked like chroming.

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    the polishing was absolutely amazing, looked like chroming.
    There's a reason for that - for chroming the finish depends on that of the underlying metal