Thread: Nipple wrench for Pietta Remington 1858 Competition

Nipple wrench for Pietta Remington 1858 Competition

Hi all,

I have just bought a wrench set with spare nipples for a Pietta Remington 1858 Competition model from Kranks. They insist that it is the correct size wrench for the nipples for this model but the wrench doesnt fit and the nipples look bigger on my gun.

Does anyone know why this could be?

Different make nipples ??

The Treso ones I have for my Ruger Old Army are very different to the originals & have a different key

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Different make nipples ??

The Treso ones I have for my Ruger Old Army are very different to the originals & have a different key

Roy
    Is there anyway of telling what make the nipples are? Can you take them out with anything other than a nipple key without damaging them? Not sure how I can find a key for them if they are non standard. Is it best not to try firing it until I can get a key? Without a key I wont be able to clean it properly will I?

Yours should have 2 flats on them & the key has two projections accordingly

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-pietta/imag...+060-450px.jpg

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-pietta/imag...0-SH-450px.jpg

Roy

Both the ones fitted to it and the replacements I bought have the two flats, the visible difference is that's the ones fitted have thicker heads

greenshoots Guest
    interesting i had a set of nipples for a uberti 36 cal navy pistol off kranks recently and they are to small . might be worth contacting to see if they have a prob

greenshoots

Quote Originally Posted by greenshoots View Post
    interesting i had a set of nipples for a uberti 36 cal navy pistol off kranks recently and they are to small . might be worth contacting to see if they have a prob

greenshoots
    I spoke to them about it and the packet number for the nipples was correct for the gun but they did say that they could have been put in the wrong packet

Quote Originally Posted by Hakeswill View Post
    I spoke to them about it and the packet number for the nipples was correct for the gun but they did say that they could have been put in the wrong packet
    Different manufacturers make different size nipples.
    The new ones for my gun were smaller and I have to use No.10 caps instead of the No.11 caps I was using before.

greenshoots Guest
    nothing to do with nipple size the thread size is my prob much to small

greenshoots

I have sent the nipples and wrench back to kranks so will see what they say when they have checked them. If they still insist they are correct for the gun I think my only option will be to go to them with the gun.

Cheers, Mark

Entirely normal for Kranks.....

It wasn't down to kranks in the end, I went down to their shop and they gave me the correct nipple wrench for free :-)

greenshoots Guest
    pray tell who was it down to?

greenshoots

I think with the gun being from 1997 it just required a different size wrench, the guy at kranks said I would be able to replace them with the new nipples when and if I need to.