Thread: Stronger springs for the Webley Premier MK II .22 air pistol...

Question Stronger springs for the Webley Premier MK II .22 air pistol...

Hey guys,

First post here.

I'm renovating an old Webley Premier MK II .22 air pistol, and amongst the various parts that need replacing, is the main spring. Although I could purchase and install an original spring for this gun, are there any other, more powerful alternatives available? I'd quite like to take it as close to the legal limit as possible, so long as it actually does enhance the performance of the gun, and not just make it harder to cock.

SGT Steel.

Fit a new spring if the one in the gun is tired but keep it the same as the original, same with the seals.

Read up on airgun tuning and you will find that stronger springs do not usually give you more power. There are lots of things to look at stroke lenght, piston weight, transfer port size.....etc.

Your Webley is not the platform to try and improve on.
    Zastava Owners Club.

Trying to get a premier remotely close to the limit is a waste of time that may end up ruining a perfectly good pistol.

It just doesn't have the swept volume to manage much over 4ft.lbs.

Not to mention that the leverage for cocking the pistol is not very mechanically efficient, a stronger spring would both be more difficult to cock and will put excessive strain on the cocking linkages, you will risk the pins tearing out of the links. Unusually for older British stuff this one is not over-engineered in this part of the design.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Many thanks for the replies, guys. Information taken on board.

Do you know if there are any instructions online on how to strip the Webley Premier MK II .22 air pistol, and what tools might be required? My main issue at the moment is how to unscrew (?) the front end of the pistol that houses the piston / spring assembly.
    SGT Steel

Once you've removed the keeper screw from the left side of the barrel pivot bolt, remove the pivot bolt, lift the barrel clear of the spring guide slot then remove the cocking shoe from the cocking slot.
    Once you've done this you reinsert the barrel pivot into the slot and use the barrel as a lever to unscrew the spring guide from the cylinder.
    No special tools are needed, just a decent correctly sized screwdriver.

I had a senior in .177 and I could not seem to shoot good a group's with it in the end I striped it down to give it a good clean and put some molly grease on but I found that it had a longer than normal spring and it had a kink in it so I got a new spring that was was the proper size about 3/4 of an inch shorter and the gun shot much better and I was getting much better groups with it.