Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bsa r-10 mk1 or mk2

Nodmeister is offline All I ask is that you are inventive but kind
    If you can view the gun before parting with your cash, better still have a few shots then the classified ad gun should be ok provided you feel comfotable with it and it shoots straight. If you go to an RFD the it's likely you will spend way more than you really want/need to.
    BSA R10 .177 Nikko Stirling Gameking 4-16x44A/O

Mag indexing?

Could you explain the differences between the mag indexing of the mk1 and mk2? I have an R10 of which I am re-working the stock. Going by what you have said it is a mk2, black gauge with a 15" barrel. However it indexes on the pull of the trigger, the indexing probe retracts on cocking the bolt, but closes on the pull of the trigger.

So what's the score with the mag indexing on the mk1 and the mk2 or is it mk5 lol?

Cheers
    It ain't a fashion, ITS A WAY OF LIFE!

Hurry up Harry, we are going down the PUB!

Bsa r10

Get an R10 with serial number ending -12 for 2012 -13 -14 99% of problems are sorted apart from the very rare rogue gun. mine is 2012 VC with no mech problems i know of 9 other R10 owners locally who have had NO Problems like myself. Shops locally sell new R10s for £650.
    mk2 rapid.22

Guess mine was made in the war then!

Maybe an easier way of telling when did the mk1 get replaced by the mk2? Say the serials start with R22 for .22 R10's, at what number did they become the mk2 or did the whole serial number change when the so called mk2 was built?

The way to tell what gun you have is by measuring the AT cap on the reg...
    BSA have had many regulators in the R10, I know as I have tried all of them The VC when it was first launched really has what I call the Mk3 regulator, its better but not perfect. To get the dims for the reg cap head over to the BSAOG forum, Tench has listed the specs ( from memory) so you can measure and tell

The early mk1 R10 came with a 12inch screw cut Ultra barrel, the indexing was via the trigger, then the middle Mk1 had the pop up indexing working off the bolt and the barrel had moved to a 15inch with no screw cutting, then we had the 3rd gen mk1 which had further reg modification (on the valve not the reg piston) and finally the pre mk2 Mk1's which had the same none screw cut 15inch barrel and the Mk2 reg fitted.

Then we had the Mk2, which was more expensive and actually had less components than the mk1, they charged you more for less (clever marketing) the reg was still very broken however.

Then the Mk2 VC was launched which had the Mk3 reg...i gave up being bothered about the regs and what BSA were up to from this model on, they fitted a larger piston, moved the piston O ring into the body of the piston and a larger belleville washer to the stack....it helped

Mk3 regs still are not 100%, i was given one and it lasted well for around 5000 rounds, then it started sticking, so I serviced it, however i was unable to get rid of the pressure curve which pushed power up just before going off reg. I gave up after around 10 rebuilds and 30 hrs of setup and tinkering and ordered a HuMa reg off XTX and boy is it a breath of fresh air.

I have not gone into the reg valve units, these have changed massively also from hard seats to O rings and ball bearings...its been a nightmare for the R10 as when the gun is right they are superb.

I have a tin here full of bits of R10 regs, XTX sent me every combination they have used to play with, none of them would work right..the Mk3 is the best out the bunch BUT is not perfection, as said its a lot closer.

The quality and reliablity of BSA pcps proves they do not know what they are doing. Ask any gunshop if you doubt that. They are better off sticking to springers.........on second thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Joe09 View Post
    hi all just a quick question,im thinking of getting an r-10 does any1 know of the differences between the bsa r-10 mk1 and mk2 and if they are worth paying the extra cash for. ive heard alot of the differences are internal so need a pros advice.

thanks alot

Dont waste money buying new. Is a warranty worth being without your rifle while it goes back and forth getting repaired? I prefer a one-off fix. Just buy the cheapest not knocked about example of either Mk1 or 2 and get it sorted by someone that knows what they are doing and can guarantee the work. Result and a few bob in your pocket to buy a decent scope and few tins of pellets

What the man above says in his latter post - find a second hand one in top condition that's not been tinkered with, pay as little as possible and get it sorted by JB or (my preference) XTX Air.

XTX Tuned R10 in the sales section now @ £500 delivered.

Fair play lads, nice one bigtoe me old china. So does anyone else have any info on the indexing mech? Waiting to get on BSA forum, my old username must of been deleted as it was about 500 moons ago that I had a couple of S10's kicking around!

Quote Originally Posted by keithy View Post
    Get an R10 with serial number ending -12 for 2012 -13 -14 99% of problems are sorted apart from the very rare rogue gun. mine is 2012 VC with no mech problems i know of 9 other R10 owners locally who have had NO Problems like myself. Shops locally sell new R10s for £650.
    R221206 Thanks for that
    nil satis nisi optimum

Quote Originally Posted by FALCON USER View Post
    Fair play lads, nice one bigtoe me old china. So does anyone else have any info on the indexing mech? Waiting to get on BSA forum, my old username must of been deleted as it was about 500 moons ago that I had a couple of S10's kicking around!
    Oi Oi
    nil satis nisi optimum

Oi Oi?

Oi Oi? Answer me this, Oi ain't ? No it ain't? .......

Are YOU a Boot, ?????

Quote Originally Posted by FALCON USER View Post
    Oi Oi? Answer me this, Oi ain't ? No it ain't? .......

Are YOU a Boot, ?????
    Certainly am KTF
    nil satis nisi optimum