Thread: Variable CO2 power

Variable CO2 power

Anyone had a problem with a variation of power between co2 caplets? I've been using ASG one's from actionsportgames as they are inexpensive however, the power seems to fluctuate between batches causing my self loader to be inaccurate and my revolver to repeatedly jam.

Quote Originally Posted by golightly View Post
    Anyone had a problem with a variation of power between co2 caplets? I've been using ASG one's from actionsportgames as they are inexpensive however, the power seems to fluctuate between batches causing my self loader to be inaccurate and my revolver to repeatedly jam.
    By jam do you mean the pellet gets stuck in the barrel or the mag fails to turn properly?

Regards
    Yusuf

You do get what you pay for.
    I always use Crosman and Umarex from our sponsor and dont have problems.
    Good prices for 100 and quality.
    Not much point in saving a few pence if they dont do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    You do get what you pay for.
    I always use Crosman and Umarex from our sponsor and dont have problems.
    Good prices for 100 and quality.
    Not much point in saving a few pence if they dont do the job.
    Agree with this - I have some unbranded ones that seem much less efficient than those two well known versions. Ramsbottoms do a good deal on both these makes on line.

It would be interesting to weigh a few, Co2's famed constant pressure only occurs between 20 and 80% full so if the bulbs are too full or too empty you will see major fluctuations.

ATB Ora

Could be down to some batches not piercing fully, resulting in less gas pressure. If it contains 12g (or near offer) of CO2 when new, and it pierces and seals ok then one capsule should perform much the same as another.

Lots of bulbs have a different name, but áre just rebadged, or made by same co.
    You must screw the piercer cap on correctly; if you dont screw it on tight enough, you might loose CO2. Some use the trick, screw it tight, than a tiny bit back, to make room for the co2
    ATB,
    yana

By jamming in my R-77 revolver I mean the pellet jams between the cylinder and the barrel.It hasn't happened before, only since I changed batches of the same co2. I think you're right about getting what you pay for! The POI with my PX4 will vary with different batches of co2;with one batch it fires at 10 O'clock, with another batch 2 O'clock, both off the target at 6 yards. I think I've minimised all the other variables like grip, trigger pull and sighting, only co2 remains. I'm assuming that the valve only opens just enough to allow sufficient co2 through and if the co2 caplet contains slightly more pressure, too much gas gets through resulting in a faster transition of the pellet from magazine to barrel and beyond. I think that explains both jamming and 2 O'clock shots. Guess I'll need to buy decent co2.

Funny really because if you put 12g of co2 into a capsule you would expect the end result to be the same- as Adam says.
    But it isnt and some cheaper brands also give less shots.
    Also the PX4 is difficult to get good groups with even without co2 problems!

variable co2 power

I have found co2 bulbs to vary whatever the make. It is a mass produced product after all and they are cost just a few pence to make so I am not sure that they are ever going to be perfect. I have even had the odd one that was completely empty.
    Piercing is also an issue. If the cap is pierced and the tiny piece of metal displaced falls away then you have good gas flow .. but .. sometimes the pin doesn`t pierce cleanly and merely stretches the cap causing slow gas seepage, this is particularly noticable when rapid shooting where the shots diminish rapidly in power.
    I always check my spent gas bulbs to see if they are piercing correctly.

Pete.

Wink

As already said, you get what you pay for. Doesn't everyone know that expensive CO2 runs at a higher, more consistent pressure than the cheap diluted stuff?

Nothing wrong with JSR CO2 and it's probably the cheapest.

Dynamit Nobel don't recommend Crosman or any others containing oil as they consider it gums up the works.

Any variations in POI are almost certain to be the mutt behind the butt, though dependent on valve design a high temperature (25 to 30+) may well reduce velocity considerably. It does on my Walther; normal service is resumed after a few shots as the gun & gas cool down.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.