Thread: Beretta 92FS

Beretta 92FS

New guy here; Hi everyone! This is my first post at Airgun BBS. I am looking forward to making some new friends here, and becoming an active contributing member of this forum.

I am planning to purchase a good quality air pistol for my teen daughter who is beginning an aggressive training program to help in preparation for her upcoming enrolment as an Royal Canadian Mounted Police recruit, and am looking at the Beretta 92FS. (nickel/wood grip) I am concerned though, that it may be too large for a female's hands. Is this an issue? I have been told that this gun is a good choice for those preparing for a career in law enforcement; in fact some police agencies actually use this very one (yes, in .177) to begin their cadet firearms training.

We live on a remote island, and are unable to easily travel to where my daughter could actually handle this gun prior to buying it, thus the reason I am unsure of the fit for female hands. Also, what is considered a good price for this pistol? (I have found the nickel/wood grip for $238 CAD)

I hope that some of you can chime in with your thoughts. Looking forward to hearing all of your comments/advice; much appreciated!

Glen B.
    Fogo Island, Newfoundland

Hi Glen,

The Umarex 92FS is quite a meaty pistol in the hand, when compared to the likes of the 1911, but would certainly be a more realistic introduction to handling the kind of double-stacked magazine pistols in use in modern law enforcement. I have a pair of 92's; a black model with standard plastic grips and a nickel model with wood grips. Firstly, the nickel with wood looks very sweet , so if you're after something to please aesthetically, then I can recommend it! As an aside, I shot a 9mm 92FS when we still had firearm pistols in the UK, and to my recollection, the Umarex Beretta 92FS actually feels a touch bulkier and heavier than the real thing.

With regard to the grips, the wooden ones have a much more defined chequering pattern to them, which tends to help the tactile feeling of 'grip' on the gun (especially if you're getting a little sweaty-palmed in competitions). However, they are noticeably wider than the plastic grips, so make an already pretty chunky handful into quite a hefty feeling pistol in the hands. Personally, I don't regret getting the wood grips for my nickel 92 as the improvement in grip 'feel' (and the visual appeal!) is worth it - but the black plastic grips are perfectly fine otherwise. Maybe get the nickel with black grips and then you can always order the wood grips as an extra if your daughter feels she can cope with a slightly chunkier grip... If you're going for something to provide a taste of the experience that she'll get with a service issue pistol, then these would generally be black/blued with plastic/poly grips anyway!

It also maybe worth a consideration that the new matte black finishes are not as durable as the old gloss black models (I've had my old gloss black 92 for over 10 years now, and I can tell that the new ones aren't quite as resilient), so the nickel model may be a longer-lasting finish. Certainly more bling as a present to your daughter!

Bob. is offline I think I'll keep with "Registered User" then
    Hi Glen, welcome to the forum,
    You don't say what your daughter will actually be using the pistol for.
    If it's plinking in the back garden (or speed shooting), then the 92FS would be fine.
    If she wants to use it for target shooting, or in pistol comps, then there are better choices, and most target comps (HFT etc.) only allow single shots (for safety), which is difficult with the 8 shot bags in these CO2 pistols.

Hope this helps.
    Bob.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Beretta 92fs

Having owned both the Umarex and real 9mm version of the 92fs I can confirm that the Umarex copy is much wider in the grip frame than the real version and from memory feels heavier too. I would go so far as to say that the Umarex copy is unwieldy unless you have large hands and is very tiring to fire for too long because of the weight.
    I think your daughter would do better with the colt or cp88 pistols.
    If she wants to familiarise herself with the controls of a real Beretta 92 may I suggest trying an `airsoft` gas blow back version of it. She will have to have a two tone version if she is not UKARA registered, but at least she will be able to get used to the controls and experience some recoil.

Pete.

A quick check on Wikipedia says that the RCMP currently uses the S&W 5946 or the SIG 220 as sidearms. If the latter, then the Hammerli P26 would be a good preparation for this, and has a slimmer grip profile, due to the original pistol using single stack magazines. Trigger is a bit heavy though... (at least it is on my older RWS C225 model).

beretta 92fs

I believe the canadian mounties carry various sidearms according to province ,in quebec they carry the walther p99 which might be an option for your daughter as it has changeable grips,the umarex version is quite a good pistol

Thanks to all of you for your great advice; much appreciated! My daughter and I have decided to go with the Umarex Beretta 92FS (nickel/wood grips) after all. Jackie's hands are almost as large as mine, so hopefully she should not have too much difficulty with the bulk.

She will soon be taking the CRFSC prior to purchasing her first real handgun; likely either a 9mm Beretta 92, or a 9mm S&W. At the RCMP academy in Regina, she will be using the standard issue S&W 5946. (stainless) Some female officers prefer the S&W 3946, identical to the 5946, aside from a bit smaller butt.

We expect to have the Umarex in about a week or so, and will report back soon with our take on it.

Thanks again,
    Glen and Jackie

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
    I believe the canadian mounties carry various sidearms according to province. . .
    They used to carry the .455 Webley revolver in the good old days.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone