Thread: Any Webley / Bulldog revolver collectors here?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Any Webley / Bulldog revolver collectors here?

I'm sure I asked this question in the past but I'm starting to re-read my Sherlock Holmes books so it's time to ask again.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim, I have a collection of Webleys (de-activated mostly) and one webley Fosberry.

Ajay

I understand that under UK law, cartridge pistols qualify as unregulated antiques if they're chambered for obsolete calibers: rather than on the basis of their age. Is that the case?

In the US, 1898 is the cutoff point: regardless of caliber, if they're made then or earlier, they're unregulated antiques. If later, then they're regulated. This applies to the individual piece in question, not to the model: so you could have one gun regulated, another identical specimen not.

I have a couple of Bulldog pieces: an English and an American. Also, a nice top-break revolver from that era.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

The Webley-Fosbery. . .

. . . what a magnificent gun that was!

Jim

hi jim ,i have two, both from the USA ,a harrington and richardson 5 shot in.44webley and an iver johnson 5 shot in .442ric,both nickeled and in obsolite calibre[UK.SECTION 58D].they make a pretty pair which sit nicely butt forwards in my waistcoat pockets..these stubby large calibre revolvers have a charm all of thier own...cheers..greasemonkey
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

Webley-Fosbery

Yes It is a georgeous piece and a shooter, but I have it on special collectors licence. 95% bluing and with povenence(History).

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    hi jim ,i have two, both from the USA ,a harrington and richardson 5 shot in.44webley and an iver johnson 5 shot in .442ric,both nickeled and in obsolite calibre[UK.SECTION 58D].they make a pretty pair which sit nicely butt forwards in my waistcoat pockets..these stubby large calibre revolvers have a charm all of thier own...cheers..greasemonkey
    I'll bet carrying them like that makes you feel like an American visiting London in Sherlock Holmes' day!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3 View Post
    Yes It is a georgeous piece and a shooter, but I have it on special collectors licence. 95% bluing and with povenence(History).
    How well does it shoot?

Jim