Thread: Simple backstop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Simple backstop

I am looking to make a simple and quick backstop for target shooting with a Beretta 92FS, (425fps) and am wondering if it makes any sense to simply stick some high density styrofoam to plywood? Or would the styro get mangled in no time?

I don't want to spend a lot of time or money, just to make something to pin my paper targets to. I am open to any/all of your suggestions!

Thanks,
    Glen B.
    Fogo Island, Newfoundland

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    Sheet of wood. one layer of carpet stapled to it at the top, another stapled to the back of the top, then flipped over to the front so it hangs a little bit away, has some movement (which helps absorb any rebounds). This setup has been fine with 12ft/lb rifles.

You could just pin targets to this, but the bullseye will wear through fairly quick (you being an ace shot and everyhting, like me ) so you might like to knock up a pellet catcher from a bit more wood; fill the back of it with plumber's mait which will hold the pellets that hit it (and be very quiet) - just fold it over itself when the pellets start getting dense. Or buy a proper one (usually steel-backed, will make a loud "ting" when you're on-taregt... can annoy the neighbours).
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

You could also use Argos catalogues behind your targets. They do wear out with regular hits in the same place but they are really cheap to replace

go to local builders merchants. get yourself a lightweight celcon block.

Get an old dartboard from a charity shop take the wire off and cut to a square I have that behind my Skan chrono works a treat
    A few air rifles and pistols Daystate Owners Club

Possible target solution

How about a box full of rags? That makes a great place to place targets. It is also relatively inexpensive. . . . . . .