Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple backstop

Simple backstop

I am looking to make a simple and quick backstop for target shooting with a Beretta 92FS, (425fps) and am wondering if it makes any sense to simply stick some high density styrofoam to plywood? Or would the styro get mangled in no time?

I don't want to spend a lot of time or money, just to make something to pin my paper targets to. I am open to any/all of your suggestions!

Thanks,
    Glen B.
    Fogo Island, Newfoundland

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    Sheet of wood. one layer of carpet stapled to it at the top, another stapled to the back of the top, then flipped over to the front so it hangs a little bit away, has some movement (which helps absorb any rebounds). This setup has been fine with 12ft/lb rifles.

You could just pin targets to this, but the bullseye will wear through fairly quick (you being an ace shot and everyhting, like me ) so you might like to knock up a pellet catcher from a bit more wood; fill the back of it with plumber's mait which will hold the pellets that hit it (and be very quiet) - just fold it over itself when the pellets start getting dense. Or buy a proper one (usually steel-backed, will make a loud "ting" when you're on-taregt... can annoy the neighbours).
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

You could also use Argos catalogues behind your targets. They do wear out with regular hits in the same place but they are really cheap to replace

go to local builders merchants. get yourself a lightweight celcon block.

Get an old dartboard from a charity shop take the wire off and cut to a square I have that behind my Skan chrono works a treat
    A few air rifles and pistols Daystate Owners Club

Possible target solution

How about a box full of rags? That makes a great place to place targets. It is also relatively inexpensive. . . . . . .

Please excuse my inexperience, but could I not just use a piece of plywood for a simple backstop? Or would the pellets just bounce off it? I would think the pellets would sink into it, but I am new to this, and have not yet received my pistol. (thanks to striking Canada Post!)

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
    Please excuse my inexperience, but could I not just use a piece of plywood for a simple backstop? Or would the pellets just bounce off it? I would think the pellets would sink into it, but I am new to this, and have not yet received my pistol. (thanks to striking Canada Post!)

Glen
    Possible rebounds & noise are the problems with just using ply ......

Most people want to keep noise to a minimum to avoid annoyying the neighbours (or other family for that matter)

Cheers

Roy

A sandbag?! Easy to make, cheap to buy and no noise or richochet

Hi Roy, thanks for your prompt reply.

My daughter and I are fortunate in that noise is not an issue; we live in a virtual no-man's land, a remote island off the northeast coast of Newfoundland, where the only creatures that may object to our shooting are a herd of caribou that often forage around our home!

But I do worry about rebounds. I was hoping the plywood alone would absorb the pellets enough to reduce or eliminate any rebounds. I would not, however, mind if we had to periodically stick a new piece of high density styrofoam onto the plywood, as it gets worn away.

If all else fails, I suppose I could make an actual pellet trap. I guess I was just looking for an easy/quick alternative.

Thanks,
    Glen and Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
    Hi Roy, thanks for your prompt reply.

My daughter and I are fortunate in that noise is not an issue; we live in a virtual no-man's land, a remote island off the northeast coast of Newfoundland, where the only creatures that may object to our shooting are a herd of caribou that often forage around our home!

But I do worry about rebounds. I was hoping the plywood alone would absorb the pellets enough to reduce or eliminate any rebounds. I would not, however, mind if we had to periodically stick a new piece of high density styrofoam onto the plywood, as it gets worn away.

If all else fails, I suppose I could make an actual pellet trap. I guess I was just looking for an easy/quick alternative.

Thanks,
    Glen and Jackie
    Hi Guys

Believe it or not I know exactly where you are - I have worked in St John New Brunswick & planned a sailing holiday starting in St Johns NL & going all the way up the coast towards you.

....and yes - 'no-mans land' or wilderness probably as good a description as you get !!

Work got in the way & the sailing never happened (ended up in New England for a few days then home !!!)

How are the mosquitos & black flies !!!!!!!!!

Anyway - back to the original question

If you ARE going to use just timber - avoid ply as it is bouncier than a bouncy thing & if you are stuck with timber then some soft lumber like pine etc would be better. a piece of carpet/carpet tile on the front would help to stop rebounds if you can - but if the lumber is soft then it will take the pellets in.

Regards

Roy

Hi Roy, well it sure is a small world after all! Not many people know where Fogo Island is, though we are fast becoming a popular tourist destination for European travellers looking to find some remote scenery; we are getting especially popular with foreign artists/photographers these past few years.

As for the bugs, we don't find them as bad as other places that we have lived across the country. There are a couple of weeks in the spring where they can be a bit of a nuisance, but this is the case for almost everywhere.

I can't imagine ever moving away from here. We can sit on our deck with our morning coffee and view icebergs, watch humpback whales breaching in our bay, and see caribou in our driveway. We have an endless supply of crab, shrimp, lobster, scallops and cod right in front of our house! I have lived in British Columbia, but the stark, untouched natural beauty of this special place cannot be beat; even BC pales by comparison. Since suffering a permanent spinal injury which forced me into a very early retirement, I have been able to devote more time to my photography hobby, and I never run out of photo ops on this small island! (see my photography website link below; most of these photos were taken either directly in front of our house, or within a short walking distance)

I will try building a simple backstop with some pine boards, and if it isn't working out well, will make something a little more substantial.

Thanks,
    Glen

Hi Glen

I was in Alberta for a while & loved being up in the North (apart from where we were extracting tar sand !! )

Then we scooted over to St John to follow oil work there

Your pictures are stunning & your description of your place in Island Harbour - I am most envious of !!!

When do I book tickets !!!

Mmmmm ... looks like Houston could be the next stop for us - that or some god forsaken location in Uganda (double )

Hope you enjoy your shooting & glad you found the forum - Some good advice & information here - don't be afraid to ask !!

Regards

Roy

Roy, thanks for your kind comments regarding my photography; much appreciated!

Funny you should mention Uganda! My family has close ties to that country. We partner with good friends over there with projects to help orphans. We are now constructing a full-service hospital in a remote region of Western Uganda; before we came along they had no medical facilities in that area.

My family traveled to Uganda in 2007 and we stayed for two months, and had a blast! I would love to be able to get back there again. The scenery is unbelievable, and Ugandans are about the friendliest people on the planet. (if you stay clear of the LRA rebels!) We got to visit with all of our sponsored children, went on safari to photograph lions, hippos, elephants, crocs, giraffes, etc, (see "Africa" section on my website for pics of our trip) took a boat trip on the Nile, and had the time of our lives! I wish everyone could experience it just once in their lives. If you get a chance to go, you will not regret it; we were hesitant at first, but would return in a heartbeat!

Let us know if you are ever in our neck of the woods. Remember that our door is always open and the coffee pot is always on!

Glen
    Last edited by camperbc; 25-06-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Easy and cheap

cardboard and rag is best