Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simple backstop

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    Quote Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
    Or would the pellets just bounce off it?
    This, usually.
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

Been shooting a long time and a peace of lead block or lead flashing will stop a 45 ACP round. the best thing to use is a old oil can metal one cut the side off and pore some lead in it this will stop most things. dont shoot anything with a full jacket and you will be ok.

If you are able to knock up a simple pellet trap, the original NARPA design drawings are still kicking about.

It is basically a 3/4 inch plywood box with a 45 degree angled steel plate inside it to deflect and kill the pellet travel stone dead.

In front of the steel plate is a disposable vertical hardboard plate with a hole cut in the middle to allow the pellets that are on target to pass through it. Any bad shots will just go thro' the hardboard and still strike the steel plate without bouncing back.

We just tear off a short length of masking tape to put across the corners of the target to hold it onto the hardboard target holder so there is nothing that can cause a pellet to bounce back at you.

Even the short lengths of masking tape are re-used and last for weeks of regular club use.

All the pellets are collected in the base of the trap and so can be emptied out at any time to be disposed of as you think fit.

We used these in the clubs in the early 70's onwards and they are still in use today, so they are very effective and long lasting.

Recently I started another new club - the Rossendale Model Target Club, and the first thing we made was four new NARPA pellet boxes - they should last another 40 years or more - to go with one of my old originals from the early 70's that is still going strong!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Hello. i was just wondering if i packed a washing machine drum out with polystyrene (the stuff that surrounds new electronics) would the polystyrene prevent ricochet and would it maybe stop the pellet. If i did do this it would be a temporary thing as long as its safe of course. thanks in advance for any help.

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy19 View Post
    Hello. i was just wondering if i packed a washing machine drum out with polystyrene (the stuff that surrounds new electronics) would the polystyrene prevent ricochet and would it maybe stop the pellet. If i did do this it would be a temporary thing as long as its safe of course. thanks in advance for any help.
    It's original, at least!

So long as the washing machine drum is reasonably thick metal (so the pellet doesn't go straight through) then I think the polystyrene would be enough to contain any rebounds. In fact, it probably ought to work quite well without. Could be LOUD though!
    Last edited by defblade; 03-10-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: spppelling
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

Quote Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
    Please excuse my inexperience, but could I not just use a piece of plywood for a simple backstop? Or would the pellets just bounce off it? I would think the pellets would sink into it, but I am new to this, and have not yet received my pistol. (thanks to striking Canada Post!)

Glen
    We've got ply sheet like that. It's a mix. Some sink in, some bounce back. Was fine when I was shooting from some distance with air rifle, but for pistol you're that bit closer and the low power of the pistol means they tend to bounce more than penetrate, so carpet it is.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation