Thread: Safety Issue or not....

Acenorth. is offline Extreme Ironing World Record Holder.

Safety Issue or not....

Looking at the latest edition of Airgunner I see a picture of Basingstoke FT club (I think) and there are a few rifles pointed (or close as) into peoples faces....

I know from my participation in UKAHFT events that we have all muzzles pointed down to prevent such incidents.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not picking fault or trying to start an argument. I'm just wondering what others think...??

Ian
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    Don't assume anything.... It makes an ASS out of U and ME

Saw the piccie in question and thought the same myself. Positive it isn't our Basingstoke lot though - it was a new club's first meeting or something.

I think that one of the problems is that each club has its own safety standards based on past history and problems.

Carrying the gun Muzzle up is common at some clubs because they have not had an accident that way.

Therefore when you see something that is different to what you have at your own club you tend to assume its "not right" or dangerous etc.

Why don't we as responsible airgunners adopt a "national good practice" of ALL doing the SAME THING at ALL CLUBS on at least the following three issues.

1. ALWAYS carry the gun MUZZLE DOWN.

2. Never Leave the firing line without proving the gun to be clear.

3. Never "Sight" a gun anwhere other than the firing line - and only then when the range is open for firing.

That way we all know what is right - and we can all expect to be told by everyone else if we "stray".

BFTA and UKAHFT could easily get together and recommend some common safety rules such as the above and try and get all clubs to adopt them as standard.

SteveH

I had a scare at my club last month. I had just finished shooting our HFT course and had the wife in tow, walking back to the start of the course (it is slightly up hill). I looked up and was meet with a muzzel of a pro-Sport pointing in our faces about 5ft away. The chap holding the rifle was in a group of 4 shooters all laughing and having a good time.He had the rifle held across his chest. I stopped and politely asked him to place his muzzel pointing down, With a little chat on gun safety thrown in, ( He was a newish member of the club ). Just finished the chat when his shooting buddy said it was his turn . He walked to the firing line took aim and fired. ... This is when I went into orbit. Not only were we looking down the barrel of a gun but it was also loaded to boot. He certainly got the message after I had finished with him. I admit when I got back to the club hut I was shaking.
    His only argument was that he mainly hunts and its a habit to reload after he has taken a shot. He is carefully watched now, If he slips up again he is out...
    The moral is ..You need to stay alert especially when shooting in a group as it is easy to get distracted by the conversations going on around you. If you are unsure you can stay focused, Place your gun down on a beanbag.
    http://www.eastdevonftc.co.uk

On a break from FT.

Muddy Gumboots Guest
    I had a scare at my club last month. I had just finished shooting our HFT course and had the wife in tow, walking back to the start of the course (it is slightly up hill). I looked up and was meet with a muzzel of a pro-Sport pointing in our faces about 5ft away.
    Cripes - someone didn't learn 'Never never let your gun / pointed be at anyone'.

It seems to me that there would be nothing wrong with a commonly accepted set of guidelines. a) It would improve safety and b) the safer we appear as a sport to potentially negative outsiders, the better.

A few years ago, one or other of the comics gave away an orange plastic safety flag which could be inserted into the breech to demonstrate that a rifle is unloaded. Very useful if shooting in a group.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Gumboots

A few years ago, one or other of the comics gave away an orange plastic safety flag which could be inserted into the breech to demonstrate that a rifle is unloaded. Very useful if shooting in a group.
    Or a brightly coloured spring clothes peg which can be used to hold back the bolt on p.c.p.'s. (A good idea from BOB1957.)
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk