Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grips for 1911a1

Grips for 1911a1

are they the same as the actual colt 1911? im looking to get some ivory style grips for a 1911 project I have going on. If they are the same it may be easier as I have more options.

Cheers

Sean
    Overkill Is Underated

Are you trying to fit original 1911 grips onto an airsoft copy of the 1911 or the umarex copy? The airsoft copies of the 1911 should be an easy fit whereas the umarex version requires a bit of modification to fit original grips.

Yusuf
    Last edited by dahaloguy; 13-06-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: more info

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by oilysean View Post
    are they the same as the actual colt 1911? im looking to get some ivory style grips for a 1911 project I have going on. If they are the same it may be easier as I have more options.

Cheers

Sean
    Some Gold Plate included in this plot Sean?
    You need an alternate retaining plate like Yusuf's or a cavity machining to accept the umarex clip plate,
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Sorry my bad yes the umerex 1911a1 and nick you got it in one :-) haha gold plate may be a little expeensive though!
    Overkill Is Underated

if its a thin mother of pearl/ivory grip you may not be able to mill away a cavity into it. But if its a strong material with a good thickness it should be doable. Do you know how strong the ivory simulation is and what thickness it comes in?

Yusuf

Not a clue mate first step was to find out if it could be done then try to find a source.
    Overkill Is Underated

i know its not the same thing but you could see if hydrographics couuld dip the origonal ones http://www.hydro-graphics.co.uk/showcase.php#

theres one currently for sale on the auction site Item number: 260797423822.
    Just paste the item number into the search bar.

Yusuf

grips for 1911a1

Yes,

I bought a pair of `double diamond` wood grips for my Tokyo Marui 1911a1, which fitted perfectly. I then transfered them to my Umarex .177 1911a1 and the screw holes were a 99% perfect fit. I did not need to alter them to get the screws to locate correctly.
    I then hollowed out the right hand grip with a wood chisel and a dremel tool to take the retaining clip. Perfic.!!!
    Pics on request via e-mail.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post

Pics on request via e-mail.

Pete.
    Yes please, its dahaloguy@hotmail.com
    Did you use dowels for the locator pins on the grip?

Yusuf
    Last edited by dahaloguy; 13-06-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: didn't give an email address

Quote Originally Posted by oilysean View Post

Cheers

Sean
    Ivory grips? General "Blood and guts" Patton lives!

There are some lovely grips out there for the 1911, and with a bit of fettling, and help from Yusuf, I ended up with these Frag Grips from VZ grips in the States..
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

Its true, there is a huge range of grips for the 1911. You could get a pair of cheap plastic grips from china or a handcrafted set of gold inlayed hardwood grips from america. Theres something to suit everyones taste.

If you have a look on the auction site, make sure you enable WORLDWIDE on the LOCATION option. This will show you all the sellers which can post to the UK. If you dont like anything you see, you could go on the american auction site and ask the sellers if will post to you.

Kind Regards
    Yusuf

I found it easier to use Google images, and Google for 1911 Grips then go to the website for any that I liked the look of.

"Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Rockape View Post
    Ivory grips? General "Blood and guts" Patton lives!
    ahaha :-D well ive found a seller in france that does some gorgeous pearl style grips with the logo look lovely, will order them when he gets back from a family emergency and see what I need to do to them :-) bargain at £30 too.!
    Overkill Is Underated