Thread: Who Owns A Stirling Hr81/83?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Who Owns A Stirling Hr81/83?

Just finished re-lubing a recent purchase, cleaned barrel & polished sear. Going to test it on the range this week, anybody know what .22 pellets these things prefer? At the time they were sold the bolt/breech mechanism was said to 'size' the pellets so that they were't pellet fussy, but there has to be a brand they get one with better than others. The rifling leaves deep grooves even in a 5.5mm H&N FTT.

Arrow

I useed to own one and found that it liked quite heavy pellets. Try the BisMag and the AA Field.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Thanks Nick, it's your old rifle! AA Field it is then.

all the best

Alistair

Arrow

Sorry Alistair-thought it might be you but I couldn't remember your user name! How's the rebuild going?

It was fine, very easy to strip and a simple, tough design. Gave the internals a bit of a polish and relubricated, its very smooth and quiet now. The air-seal is really solid, no hissing at all. Might need a new mainspring from Chambers, but I think it's doing about 10 ft/lbs - certainly its got a bit of a kick to it so maybe it's better to stick with the old spring! I'll let you know how I get on with it at the range.

atb

Alistair

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee
    its very smooth and quiet now. Alistair
    AListair, you must have done a good job there. The one I owned and the other I shot both sounded like a major road accident right in your earhole !

BTW I'm off work tomorrow, feel like meeting up later in the week though ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Arrow

Jon/Alistair you obviously know each other? Jon I sold a very nice HR81 to Alistair at an incredibly reasonable price because I needed to buy bread and gruel that week.
    OK now though-back on the foie gras and bubbly!!
    Good shooting chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBoy
    AListair, you must have done a good job there. The one I owned and the other I shot both sounded like a major road accident right in your earhole !

BTW I'm off work tomorrow, feel like meeting up later in the week though ?
    Should be able to do Thursday lunchtime or Friday Lunchtime/afterwork depending on how many patients turn up ....

It IS smooth although it leaps a bit on discharge... I larded the back end of the piston with plenty of LT2 grease, the clearance seems to be a bit wide there, maybe it'll lose some fps but it won't rattle any fillings loose ...

And it was a bargain - £90 with an unmarked stock - interesting gun, sort of a cross between a Lee Enfield and Webley Mk 3. Superb bluing on the barrel and bolt tube. Suprised it doesn't have a fitting for a spike bayonet...
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 01-02-2005 at 12:03 AM.