Thread: Who Owns A Stirling Hr81/83?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    It was fine, very easy to strip and a simple, tough design. Gave the internals a bit of a polish and relubricated, its very smooth and quiet now. The air-seal is really solid, no hissing at all. Might need a new mainspring from Chambers, but I think it's doing about 10 ft/lbs - certainly its got a bit of a kick to it so maybe it's better to stick with the old spring! I'll let you know how I get on with it at the range.

atb

Alistair

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee
    its very smooth and quiet now. Alistair
    AListair, you must have done a good job there. The one I owned and the other I shot both sounded like a major road accident right in your earhole !

BTW I'm off work tomorrow, feel like meeting up later in the week though ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Arrow

Jon/Alistair you obviously know each other? Jon I sold a very nice HR81 to Alistair at an incredibly reasonable price because I needed to buy bread and gruel that week.
    OK now though-back on the foie gras and bubbly!!
    Good shooting chaps.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBoy
    AListair, you must have done a good job there. The one I owned and the other I shot both sounded like a major road accident right in your earhole !

BTW I'm off work tomorrow, feel like meeting up later in the week though ?
    Should be able to do Thursday lunchtime or Friday Lunchtime/afterwork depending on how many patients turn up ....

It IS smooth although it leaps a bit on discharge... I larded the back end of the piston with plenty of LT2 grease, the clearance seems to be a bit wide there, maybe it'll lose some fps but it won't rattle any fillings loose ...

And it was a bargain - £90 with an unmarked stock - interesting gun, sort of a cross between a Lee Enfield and Webley Mk 3. Superb bluing on the barrel and bolt tube. Suprised it doesn't have a fitting for a spike bayonet...
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 01-02-2005 at 12:03 AM.