Thread: Airsporter S woes!

Airsporter S woes!

I've recently been messing with my .177S as it will not group very well at all. The consistancy on the chrono is good with approx 10fps variation at an average velocity of 715fps with s/domes. Ive tried different scopes, spring set-ups, checked loading tap alignment, all sorts, but to no avail. I am now doing something I've never done before, cleaning an airgun barrel! This is not easy on a tap loader and only possible as the gun is in bits. I have pushed some pellets through the tap and barrel and noticed that the pellets were easy to push down the barrel and when emerged only had rifling marks on the skirt. Pellets with smaller dia skirts than the s/domes only had very faint rifling marks.
    I also noticed that as the pellets go through the loading tap they are being sized to some extent, mainly affecting the skirt. I was wondering whether to ream out the tap slightly to reduce this but it's onlt a theory! Any of you knowledgable chaps have any words of wisdom??

Thanks in advance, Max
    Last edited by maximus; 15-06-2011 at 06:49 AM. Reason: spellins

tap

could want a new tap as its not lined up properly only a theory though have you read the section on top of sail section on rebuilding old guns might be something on there ....

Not sure on diametre of domes but rws superfeild come in 2 sizes 4.51 and 4.52 maybe worth giving the 4.52 the same test as a comparision.But I also think the skirt would certainly expand upon releasing the trigger with the airblast inturn forcing it into contact with the rifling of the barell and creating deeper groves.You could try firing into a soft cusion then try and reteve the pellet for examination.Good luck and keep us posted.

Look for any marks around the spring action or piston head area. Any fresh sharp edges can affect accuracy in as well

British rifles of this eara can be very pellet fussy as barrels I believe were made in house. RWS Superdomes are worth a try. Try lots though.

The tap could be out but does has to be badly out and do damage to the pellet. Check for gas loss but if the velocities are consistent then its probably ok. I don't know if rust is a problem in these barrels but I don't think so.

Shooting springers can be hard work and work best from the standing unsupported position. Constricted to a bench rest or lent on anything can be very frustrating. The smoother the action the better, but a lot is going on before the pellet has left the barrel. Its the reason why modern springers have shorter and shorter barrels, faster actions and anything to get that pellet out and away before there are any other influences to interfere.

I shoot my springers at farmyard range: 25m and under. Keep everything into an inch or less and you have your range. Its the reason that with optics the German rifles took the range out to 35m. Modern pcp's to 45 and further on the target range. However the BSA's shoot beautifully with open sights and with some practice are good for nearly anything in the farmyard, just don't expect pellet on pellet.

I've not had chance to mess today but have cleaned out the barrel a bit. The patches are still coming through with a bit of black on them but I'm thinking its ok now. The gun has been re-blued by MAG so not sure about rust in barrel as prior to that it had lived in a barn for years! I have shot well with it in the past but with open sights. I fitted a low mag scope (2.75x) just to see how good it could group but it seams worse than ever. You do notice the effect of a poor trigger more with a scope fitted. Maybe I'm pulling off target. The hole in the tap is definatly tighter than the barrel so as it is fired the pellet would be reduced in size by the tap then have to expand back up into the barrel. I have tried a good selection of pellets including 4.52 AA Field but none seem to group nicely at 27 yards. On the chrono domes give the best ME too. Will have another fiddle at the week end but if no different I may open up the hole in the tap a bit so at least its the same as the bore.

In effect every shot should clean the barell to my thinking.But would not open up the loading tap unless you have a replacement.if power is consistant cannot think this is sole problem.at the minute i am putting hobbys throu mine.Do not think its doing 10 fps even after rebuild but is accurate.Removed oxspring which was very powerful but no accuracy.Are you sure it is not over gunned power wise.Mine was very tight and grinded on cocking not at all good.But replacing the spring with original and honing cly and correct relube absolute joy at about 9 fps.Convinced this is why the guy sold it as it was useless when purchased all power but no accurray.P.S mine is standard airsporter and not the s.Plus I am useing open sights.Try some milbro jets cheap an nasty load them tlit gun towards the floor then try an open the load tap most are not sized too good an will fall partially into barrel as you cannot lift the loading tap showing correct allinement try ths a few times you will see when loading which are undersized.Plus never had a mount for scope not move on these groves not really deep and long enough.
    Last edited by leostar; 16-06-2011 at 12:09 AM.