Thread: Scope Advice

Scope Advice

Right then ... i need a new scope and ive narrowed it down to these 2 but i'm open to other suggestions (that's where you lot come in) i dont want to spend a massive amount of money as the Wifey will moan (even more than usual) i want a basic hunting scope and i dont like fiddling around to much before i take the shot (Mrs Wurz will probably vouch for that one) so i dont really want a parralax adjustable jobby ... my choices are

Hawk Reflex ...3 10 x 44 MD

Nikko Gold Crown 8 x 42 WA

if i go the parralax adj route i thought about the Hawk Varmint 11 ... 3 10 x44 MD

Im swaying towards the Nikko 8 x 42 as i dont tend to switch magnification when im hunting and i recently compared a Nikko 6 x 42 to my Hawk Nighteye 3 9 x 50 and i thought the Nikko had clearer optics ? the scope will be on a 177 pcp and i shoot out to about 45 yrds so im not sure that milldots are essential ... any thoughts would be appreciated

wurzel

sad lad Guest

scope

wurzel

drop coolmaserpro a email he was seliing simmons aetec 2.8-10x44 wa cost about £260 new for about £100.
    fantastic scopes for the money i dont think you will find better for the money

i looked at the Aetec 2.8 ~ 10 x 44 on the B A R website and they retail for £209.99 which is what put me off but at £100.00 i'l send a mail now

Thank you Mr Sad Lad

wurzel (and if i get one at that price i'l be a Happy Lad :-)

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with Nikko, & IMHO the Hawke just won't have the quality of optics.
    I would recommend going to a dealer & take a known scope with you as a benchmark. I did this last week, I took a good old Simmons 4x32 with me & tried to geta better quality 4x32 or 4x40. The scopes I looked through were nowhere near as clear/bright, the guy in the shop had to agree, & the 2 I was looking at were £99 & £195!!!!!!!!!!!!
    In the end I bought a old Nikko Gold Crown 4x40 through the sales on here for £20 & it is just perfect for what I want!
    John

John i compared an old Nikko 6x42 that has been sat in a cupboard for years against a Hawk Nighteye 3~9x50 that has just come off of my old Sirocco and the optics seemed alot clearer on the Nikko the other thing that i noticed on the Hawk was that the adjusters on the turrets had broken so i could'nt zero it on my new rifle whether that is down to the recoil from the Sirocco im not sure ? but build quality does'nt seem to be that good

wurzel

I have both

Hawk Reflex ...3 10 x 44 MD

Nikko Gold Crown 8 x 42 WA

and the nikko isnt a patch on the reflex... 3-10x44 is a far better scope and excellent value for money (I have two of em)

Tony

DJP Guest
    I tried both when I bought my last scope. I wasn't too keen on the Reflex - the Nikko was clearer. To be honest, I've not been that impressed by any of the cheaper Hawke scopes that I've seen (Reflex, Nite Eye etc) however, I have a Varmint II 3-10x44 which is in a different league altogether and is a very decent scope.

Happy hunting!

I think you have to consider the exact models your comparing the Nikko Gold Crown 8 x 42 WA is a £35 scope and the Hawk Reflex ...3 10 x 44 MD is a £70 scope. I have both of them and the reflex by comparison is much better optically. Non of them are going to win scope of the year, but the reflex 3-10x44 is excellent for the price tag. Better in fact than other members of the reflex range costing more.

Tony

got a hawke 3-10x44 today, very impressed with it and very easy to re-paralax. was a bit hard to turn because the grease was a bit tacky, but other than that, very easy. very impressed with the optics, and probably the best at that price. if you don't fancy the re-paralax try an ags 3-9x44 which are already set to 35 yds!

I've just had another quick comparison test with the Nighteye and the Nikko ... and now i notice that when i go from 3x to 9x the cross hairs are moving a fair bit (like its canting badly) and when i reverse the mag back to 3x it goes back in place so build quality is an obvious issue with the Hawk ?

so im guessing that the reflex will be of the same build quality as the Nighteye ?

wurzel

One of the 3-10x44 Reflex scopes I have has lived on top of a springer for 18 months and is solid as a rock. The other one lives on my sons Harrier, it replaced the nikko 8x42. No probs with either.

Tony
    Last edited by TheShootist; 02-02-2005 at 06:18 PM.

Tony ... maybe i just got a duff one ?

But i suppose its a case of once bitten twice shy

wurzel

Sounds like it, just send it back under warrenty

Regards
    Tony