Thread: Steyr transfer ports

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..

Steyr transfer ports

Confused,just bought a LG110 hunter to use for HFT,mine has the standard port that is fitted on the rifle,any advantage to swapping to the other ports available,not really had a chance to work out shot count per fill yet,but pellet velocity seemed much higher than my LG100,which is very consistent over all distances.
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

I think the "Hunter" has a 3mm port which should give you 60/70 shots from a fill.

The "Hunter" is usually a bit noisier because it does use more air per shot. You should still achieve good shot to shot consistency and velocity should be adequate for a sub 12 FPE rifle.

ATB
    Ray.

My 4mm ported hunter does 120 shots in .177 with a 4fps spread..
    Amazing kit... love it..

Bob. is offline I think I'll keep with "Registered User" then
    The current Hunter uses a silver port with a small (c.3mm) hole, so that the power can't be turned up to exceed 12fpe. It returns about 65 good shots per fill.

The black port (which isn't officially available in the UK now) has a larger (c.4mm) hole, and is good for about 120 shots per fill.

The reason that the latest silver port has less shots per fill is that the transfer port is so small, it needs to use loads of air to squeeze through the tiny hole to get the pellet up to 11.x fpe. So it uses the air very in-efficiently.

With the black port, it just needs a short blast of air, which all rushes through the larger transfer port very quickly, so uses air much more efficiently.

Hope this helps.

Bob
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Thanks Bob,that's very helpful is it just a matter of changing the ports over,or is some fine tuning needed?

Neale
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Quote Originally Posted by tufty View Post
    Thanks Bob,that's very helpful is it just a matter of changing the ports over,or is some fine tuning needed?

Neale
    You will definitely need to turn the power down if you put the black port in.
    You would need to have a chrono at hand if you attempted this modification to ensure the power didn't exceed 12ft/lb.

I should add that Steyr changed the transfer port so that it was not possible to exceed 12ft/lb. Swapping back might be seen as a method of tuning above this power and that would be illegal

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

Bob.
    Last edited by Bob.; 02-07-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Warning.

I guess everybody with an adjustable VO screw In their Steyr FT are breaking the law then????

4mm transfer ports are not illegal.. As are any rifles fitted without A/T..
    It is the owners duty though to ensure that there rifle does not come close to , or go over the UK limit of 12ftlb..

Steyrs run best at around 11.1-11.3ftlb as a rule..
    Last edited by stormraider77; 21-06-2011 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stormraider77 View Post
    I guess everybody with an adjustable VO screw In their Steyr FT are breaking the law then????

4mm transfer ports are not elegal.. As are any rifles fitted without A/T..
    It is the owners duty though to ensure that there rifle does not come close to , or go over the UK limit of 12ftlb..

Steyrs run best at around 11.1-11.3ftlb as a rule..
    I didn't suggest that everyone with adjustable VO screws was breaking the law. I said that anyone tuning the power above 12ft/lb was breaking the law. This is why the official importers will not sell a black port to anyone in the UK.
    Also, I'm not suggesting that anyone with the "previous" model Steyr already fitted with the black port is operating against the law, in the same way as any pre AT rifle is not illegal (so long as it is under 12ft/lb.)

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

Hope this helps.
    Bob.
    Last edited by Bob.; 21-06-2011 at 08:12 PM.

No worries Bob.
    My Hunter was a direct import. It has a 4mm black transfer port and was set by Steyr for the UK market.
    Id be interested to hear if anyone had swapped from a silver to a black T/P and what the output was... Before it was detuned to sub 12fpe.
    Surely a larger T/P and shortened hammer spring will give a large shot capacity without the ability to run hot when wound in fully? As long as the pre-tension does not affect the regs ability to operate normally, i cant see a problem. Just a case of shimming the shortened hammer spring with ptfe discs to ensure perfect tuning below 12fpe and it could never run over powered with a doubled shot capacity..

MODS..
    If this is considered sailing too close to the wind.. Please delete..

Quote Originally Posted by Bob. View Post

I should add that Steyr changed the transfer port so that it was not possible to exceed 12ft/lb.

Bob.
    I know one guy who's silver ported steyr went over when tested at club, it ran about 805 with 8.4 exact's (if memory serves me correctly), so Steyr failed there, he isnt a happy chappy he get's poor shot count (about 45+) AND still went over , it shouldnt come as a surprise to say he's getting a black TP.

Mark
    Air Arms MPR + GINB FT1 + VIPER 10X44
    WALTHER LGU + VIPER 10X44

Quote Originally Posted by LANKY MK View Post
    I know one guy who's silver ported steyr went over when tested at club, it ran about 805 with 8.4 exact's (if memory serves me correctly), so Steyr failed there, he isnt a happy chappy he get's poor shot count (about 45+) AND still went over , it shouldnt come as a surprise to say he's getting a black TP.

Mark

Good job they weighed the pellet and had a calibrated chrono

ATB
    Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Raygun View Post
    Good job they weighed the pellet and had a calibrated chrono

ATB
    Ray.
    I know where your'e coming from Ray....but imagine travelling (500 mile round trip) down south for a shoot and getting kicked off the course when the rifle goes slightly over.

With a rifle that CAN'T go over.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I know where your'e coming from Ray....but imagine travelling (500 mile round trip) down south for a shoot and getting kicked off the course when the rifle goes slightly over.

With a rifle that CAN'T go over.
    Too true Chris.

At least you can adjust them though

ATB
    Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by stormraider77 View Post
    Id be interested to hear if anyone had swapped from a silver to a black T/P and what the output was... Before it was detuned to sub 12fpe.
    Other way about but same outcome, I have black 4mm TP running 8.4grn at 770fps, silver 3mm TP with same pellets, 660fps.

Conor
    He who never made a mistake never learned anything!
    He who never missed never shot!