Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: "it's a bit rusty"

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    well, just started over the last few days. Went with the ammonium chloride version as described here : http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....highlight=fume

Just suspended my test pieces in my half empty rainwater butt in the garden, lid on (no rainwater allowed in).

First rusting was rubbish, and it was clear I hadn't degreased properly. I now understand the whole "wetting the surface" test, and looking for beading.

Now it IS properly degreased, I can see the difference. Second rusting (24 hours) just completed and boiled, and it looks more like everyone else first rusting, maybe a bit patchier / lighter, but the weather hasn't been so warm lately. Just boiled - it's kinda weird when you see rust chaging into black isn't it ? I've increased my solution to 3% as I'm impatient (and the weather isn't helping), so we'll see what happens.

No point doing piccies at this stage it just looks like everyone elses... (well, a bit worse)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

If you increase your ratio.. check it more often otherwise it might pit and youll have to get the sandpaper back out!
    If it gets warmer or more humid, check again as this could accelerate rusting. In my experience, humidity is more of a factor than heat.
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    If you increase your ratio.. check it more often otherwise it might pit and youll have to get the sandpaper back out!
    If it gets warmer or more humid, check again as this could accelerate rusting. In my experience, humidity is more of a factor than heat.
    Yup, makes sense. Currently the rusting is very light; I could leave if for 3 days without pitting... but thanks for the warning
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Well the hot weather (~ 30 degrees ) had an interesting affect today...

Far more rusting than usual (4th cycle), and after 20 mins boiling there was, for the first time, still quite a bit of brown rust remaining.

Fortunately however, most of it came off quite easily with the 0000 wirewool. It did leave some brown speckles behind though, so boiled it again, and that did the trick; normal service resumed.

After wirewooling down again as usual, the finish is now a slightly browned, pitina'd black, very reminiscent of what you find on pre-war BSAs and wobley services... I can see this being a very useful finish for guns of that era, to maintain an authentic look.

But for me, another couple of rusting / boilings await...

As soon as the various bungs and stoppers I've ordered have arrived, I'm going to get cracking on some actual guns

Boing.. I just thought I'd bump this thread for Baldinio as we were talking about this over the weekend. Also, I shot 'Rusty' extensively on Saturday and the old girl is absolutely magic! I can't believe it's the same gun! Thanks for this thread Mick.. it's a really good example of what the BBS is about!
    Donald

Haha! Unholy thread revival due to now being severely afflicted with the BOING virus!

Nice one, Donald; as you say, a most excellent thread.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!