Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Skip find, unknown pistol, valuation

I have it on good authority that Rembrant actually owned one until his untimely death in 1669

EDIT : Sorry my mistake it was actually his best friend , a painters mate

Dave
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by strikeruk View Post
    all i can say is " its a caulker "
    That is pure double entendre genius, and bleddy funny to boot. (see here: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/caulker): G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by strikeruk View Post
    all i can say is " its a caulker "
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingplinker View Post
    I have it on good authority that Rembrant actually owned one until his untimely death in 1669
    EDIT : Sorry my mistake it was actually his best friend , a painters mate Dave
    Here we go again..more silly answers........It's raining here, and I have a bit of spare time, so will give a fuller answer to the poor chap so at least he sees that someone on here is actually trying to be serious and trying to help!

The early history of these is shrouded in military secrecy and misconception.....although the basic design had been around for a few years by the outbreak of WW1, the ammunition manufacture was fraught with problems......by 1917 the stagnant trench warfare situation had the Germans looking at innovative solutions, and the fast moving, small raiding squad armed with light weapons (stormtroopers) was first mooted.

There was a problem however...despite being armed with the best the Kaiser could supply, when they tried to do a trench raid, the British had a nasty habit of firing their guns at them and causing casualties!, obviously something had to be done, and quickly!

The Kaiser set up a committee to see how to deal with this dastardly British behaviour, and one committee member remembered the Sturmelbangler.......Wacker GMBH was contacted (they are still in business) to look at the ammunition situation, and elite volunteers were secretly trained to familiarise themselves with the new weapon and tactics.

The idea was simple, and pure genius.......the select troops would advance a few hours stealthily in small numbers ahead of the main raiding parties during the night when the British were tucked up, and deploy the new M.A.S.T.I.C. guns.

(Mein Anschlag Stickund Tommigewehr Interferen Cannone)

The first allied regiment to be attacked was the Canadian 342nd rifle brigade ....they were armed with the straight pull Ross rifle, highly regarded for it's accuracy.....Imagine the carnage at dawn after the night advance party had done it's evil deed.....the Stormtrooper raiding group would creep quietly within rifle range, then stand up in full view and shout insults at the allied troops."Henry Burr sings out of tune",....."General Haig ist un Pansie".......etc. etc.

The enraged Allies then would throw caution to the winds, break cover and shoot at the Germans, when the now useless, bunged up barrels of their rifles would leave them an easy target for the Hun devils

This first attack was a huge success for the Germans........they gained a valuable 18 yards of ground for minimal losses, but more importantly, the news of the Ross rifles malfunction spread like wildfire, and even today their reputation is tarnished, but obviously the real reason for this unjustified slur has been lost in time due to censorship.

It was a short lived, one off success for the sausage eaters, as once British military Intelligence had realised what had happened, extra night pickets were posted on all fronts, and troops were ordered to check their rifles first thing in the morning.......The whole sorry episode was forgotten until after the war when reparations were being sought by the allies. The Wacker plant was one of hundreds inspected and by sheer coincidence one of the British officers (Colonel Hugh Spratterson Williams) saw the crafty Heinie technicians had been using the now defunct supplies of "Tommiestop" to do general repairs around the badly maintained buildings. He immediately saw the potential profit to be made....no more messy putty and string etc., and ordered the seizure of all the guns and cartridges, and generations later they are only known for the (happily more peaceful) uses they are employed to do.

All this all on Google if you want to check for yourselves, so next time someone asks for help can we please be more serious and professional

pistol

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    I have been on here for a couple of years now, and I cannot believe this post has been allowed to run and degenerate into a farce, with all these silly answers and questions

This is supposed to be the sensible part of the forum, where people can find out more about fascinating old collectors pieces, and not some silly schoolboy nonsense the like of which you normally see on modified chav nova forums

A member asked for advice and help, and it seems as if everybody is determined to make fun of the poor guy!

Take the following rubbish as an example

At least I suppose, despite being 1 year out in your dating, and misspelling Wesselbender (an easy mistake granted), you are on the right track about the country of origin......the example shown was both incomplete and sadly non original, and against my normal reserve about posting pics of my REALLY rare and valuable stuff due to security concerns in these turbulent times, and in an effort to get this thread back on track, I have decided to put this matter to rest. Mine is a mint, almost unused example, with 100% finish remaining, and is the ultra-rare 'Bisley special'.....the Germanic origins are now obvious as you can see from the stock, and the rare Parker Hale / Dr Walter Gerhard combination tube sight was a factory option at the time.......I had to wait a long time to obtain this beauty, and the offer of a swap for my mint, boxed and unfired Improved Model D in .25 calibre was something I snapped up before the guy came to his senses !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right..can we get back to "proper' stuff now please!!!!
    ok so what, you seem to have the magnum mk3 version,with the compact fluxcapasitor,i still think the mk1 is much more elegant,and pleasing to the eye,without all that spaceage rubbish attached.

Here we go again..more silly answers........It's raining here, and I have a bit of spare time, so will give a fuller answer to the poor chap so at least he sees that someone on here is actually trying to be serious and trying to help!

The early history of these is shrouded in military secrecy and misconception.....although the basic design had been around for a few years by the outbreak of WW1, the ammunition manufacture was fraught with problems......by 1917 the stagnant trench warfare situation had the Germans looking at innovative solutions, and the fast moving, small raiding squad armed with light weapons (stormtroopers) was first mooted.

There was a problem however...despite being armed with the best the Kaiser could supply, when they tried to do a trench raid, the British had a nasty habit of firing their guns at them and causing casualties!, obviously something had to be done, and quickly!

The Kaiser set up a committee to see how to deal with this dastardly British behaviour, and one committee member remembered the Sturmelbangler.......Wacker GMBH was contacted (they are still in business) to look at the ammunition situation, and elite volunteers were secretly trained to familiarise themselves with the new weapon and tactics.

The idea was simple, and pure genius.......the select troops would advance a few hours stealthily in small numbers ahead of the main raiding parties during the night when the British were tucked up, and deploy the new M.A.S.T.I.C. guns.

The first allied regiment to be attacked was the Canadian 342nd rifle brigade ....they were armed with the straight pull Ross rifle, highly regarded for it's accuracy.....Imagine the carnage at dawn after the night advance party had done it's evil deed.....the Stormtrooper raiding group would creep quietly within rifle range, then stand up in full view and shout insults at the allied troops."Henry Burr sings out of tune",....."General Haig ist un Pansie".......etc. etc.

The enraged Allies then would throw caution to the winds, break cover and shoot at the Germans, when the now useless, bunged up barrels of their rifles would leave them an easy target for the Hun devils

This first attack was a huge success for the Germans........they gained a valuable 18 yards of ground for minimal losses, but more importantly, the news of the Ross rifles malfunction spread like wildfire, and even today their reputation is tarnished, but obviously the real reason for this unjustified slur has been lost in time due to censorship.

It was a short lived, one off success for the sausage eaters, as once British military Intelligence had realised what had happened, extra night pickets were posted on all fronts, and troops were ordered to check their rifles first thing in the morning.......The whole sorry episode was forgotten until after the war when reparations were being sought by the allies. The Wacker plant was one of hundreds inspected and by sheer coincidence one of the British officers (Colonel Hugh Spratterson Williams) saw the crafty Heinie technicians had been using the now defunct supplies of "Tommiestop" to do general repairs around the badly maintained buildings. He immediately saw the potential profit to be made....no more messy putty and string etc., and ordered the seizure of all the guns and cartridges, and generations later they are only known for the (happily more peaceful) uses they are employed to do.

All this all on Google if you want to check for yourselves, so next time someone asks for help can we please be more serious and professional
    Fair play but did they do a left handed version ? Now that you mentioned the Kaiser I presume they were only made for the German market and were obviously far right handed ?

many thanks for the very informative post

Dave
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

i want one but cant see where the adjustment for the trigger pull weight is and is there
    an option for a scope rail, what i really like about this is the variable calibre depending on where you reduce the nozzle.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Yoy really do have too much time on your hands.

could it need to be on a ticket

I hope you have handed it in as it is looks over 12 fp, if you don't believe me try putting your one of your toes in it and pumping it up! it will make your foot pound for ages.

Rob

is it for sale ,is it a 177 if so i will have it

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by nice one View Post
    is it for sale ,is it a 177 if so i will have it
    ...... Ahemmm. Please be careful about asking to buy off the back of a valuation thread.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Skip find

Sorry to correct you
    They are not sights
    They are stabilisers as used on my bow
    They keep your hand steady and eliminates the shakes when you resume using the gun after you have been to the pub for a lunch break
    Mick
    I was asked by a local farmer to preserve wildlife!!!
    Any one want a pickled squirrel ???