Thread: Ultrasonic cleaners

Ultrasonic cleaners

Hi all,

Does anyone here use Ultrasonic cleaners to clean their BP guns? I was thinking of getting one to clean my revolver, probably wont be able to fit the whole thing in one with it being a solid frame but was thinking I could put the cylinder and other parts in and just hand clean the barrel and frame.

i put the cylinder in but just run out soapy water thru barrel and brush other areas with a soft brush...if you have a dish washer then take grips off and bung in

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    i put the cylinder in but just run out soapy water thru barrel and brush other areas with a soft brush...if you have a dish washer then take grips off and bung in
    I dont have a dish washer unfortunately, which ultrasonic cleaner do you use? Do you use anything in the cleaner or just warm water?

I put my cylinder in the dishwasher - take the nipples out & put them in a softner/washing liquid lid with half dozen holes in the bottom

Wedge the lid in the knife rack

Clean as a new clean thing when it all comes out

A smear of copperease on the nipples & a little lube on the cebtre rod on the gun & goog to go !!

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by Hakeswill View Post
    I dont have a dish washer unfortunately, which ultrasonic cleaner do you use? Do you use anything in the cleaner or just warm water?
    think mine is made by james which is a good make .....had a few over the years but they tend to die

If only I had a bigger house then getting a dishwasher wouldnt be a problem!

Is it just one of the domestic James models or the more expensive professional?

mines a james 8050 model and its the best so far....

Is there plenty of room for a 1858 remmie cylinder in that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Hakeswill View Post
    Is there plenty of room for a 1858 remmie cylinder on that one?
    oh yes.....cleans it big time.
    i never cap off either as everything is spotless

thanks I will look into getting one.

Maplins have special offer on their 2.5L one for £79.99. I just bought mine last week, does good job.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3 View Post
    Maplins have special offer on their 2.5L one for £79.99. I just bought mine last week, does good job.
    Thanks I did notice that, thought it seemed like a good deal but couldnt find out if it was any good, but if it definately does a good job then I might just go get one!

Just got it didnt realise it was the James one, I thought it was just a knock off as it didnt say James in the description. Will be giving it a go shortly...

always use the basket provided as you can put a hole in the base....or make a basket to suspend in the water be even better

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    always use the basket provided as you can put a hole in the base....or make a basket to suspend in the water be even better

I did use the basket provided unfortunately not a good experience, it has damaged the blued finish on my cylinder. The gun was secondhand so I dont know if the cylinder had been refinished or something in the past. Guess it is only cosmetic at the end of the day but still annoying. Odd that it didnt effect the loading lever or cylinder pin.